cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applied to DCU, got charged a $10 extra fee for the $5 deposit...

tag
SportBike4Life
Regular Contributor

Applied to DCU, got charged a $10 extra fee for the $5 deposit...

So here's the story. I just recently applied to DCU and read this upon sign-up:

We accept:
  • Visa®, Mastercard®, or Discover® (transactions up to $250);
  • a transfer from another checking account you own (up to $3,000); or,
  • if you are already a DCU member, a transfer from one of your other DCU accounts.

So yeah, I chose to pay the $5 minimum checking account deposit with my discover and WA LA! this morning I checked my discover account online and I see that it was marked as a cash advance and that I was charged a $10 cash advance fee by Discover. Anyone know if it is possible to get this fee waived??

Jun 2012 FICO® ~ 734 EQ
Sep 2012 FICO® ~ 684 EQ; 734 TU
Oct 2012 FICO® ~ TBA

Goal for 2014 ~760+

Trying to stay in the garden...but also trying to get as many apps as possible for now Smiley Wink
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Applied to DCU, got charged a $10 extra fee for the $5 deposit...

Not possible. You should know that anytime you use credit card on money related purposes (buying money order, funding deposit account, etc) WILL ALWAYS be cash advances.

Pay off that balance right away, cash advance charges interest from day 1 (no grace period).

Message 2 of 6
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Don't feel so bad. I don't know that I would have realized it was considered a cash advance, either.

Option #1, consider it a life lesson -- at least $10 is a relatively cheap lesson.

Option #2, Call DCU and ask for a supervisor (NOT regular CSR!). Explain the situation and ask if there would be any way that they might credit your acct for the $10. They don't owe it to you, so you would really need to be nice, tactful and contrite. And I would suggest that they add a line on the website, letting customers know that that option would be a cash advance on their CC. So, basically, you're saying that while it was your error, they could have prevented it with more clarificaiton on their website. Might work. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 6
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I have funded numerous accounts with credit cards and it depends on the issuer. I have used Chase, PNC, Barclays, and FIA numerous times and it always counts a a purchase. Citi will always count this type of thing as a cash advance so never do it with them.

You could try ringing Discover and say you did not know and is there any way to get the fee removed. Digital Credit Union would probably say no since Discover is the one who categorised it as a cash advance. I guess you could try though.

Message 4 of 6
firesoul453
Contributor

Man I got lucky. When setting up my online bank account. They offered me one time transfer with credit card. I charged a couple of hundred dollars to get some cash back and then paid it back to the card. Counted as a transaction.

My ultimate credit wish,
a JP Morgan Palladium card
Message 5 of 6
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

Call Discover and ask for it to be waived as a courtesy. If you don't have a history of asking for fee waivers and/or doing cash advances, most issuers would issue a courtesy credit.

Especially considering the size of the advance ($5), I think you would get it waived.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.