Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply for Amex Green before Amex PRG?

tag
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

Apply for Amex Green before Amex PRG?

I plan to get my roommate an Amex PRG for the sign up bonus. I'm thinking whether I should get him a Green first.

I can either

1). Apply for Amex PRG directly after his CapOne turns 6 month old. But very likely to miss the 50K targeted offer.

2). Apply for Amex Green after CapOne 3 month old, then Amex PRG after another 6 months. Maybe a bigger chance of approval? Or a 50K trageted offer for existing Amex customer?

Thank you.

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Apply for Amex Green before Amex PRG?

The underwriting qualifications for both cards are about the same, he can apply for PRG now, if he wants.  If he is denied, he would of been denied for Green as well. 3 months is a bit short of credit history he will need other factors to get approved, either a clean report perferably with AU on a card or two to get some history or an above average income like 60k plus he has a chance of being approved.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 12
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

If they would approve for one charge card, Amex should approve for any charge card. Despite how it looks, the requirements for charge cards are all really similar to each other. Just go for the PRG.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 3 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@w20031424 wrote:

I plan to get my roommate an Amex PRG for the sign up bonus. I'm thinking whether I should get him a Green first.

I can either

1). Apply for Amex PRG directly after his CapOne turns 6 month old. But very likely to miss the 50K targeted offer.

2). Apply for Amex Green after CapOne 3 month old, then Amex PRG after another 6 months. Maybe a bigger chance of approval? Or a 50K trageted offer for existing Amex customer?

Thank you.

There is no point in applying for a different charge card first because the eligibility requiremants for these 2 cards are the same. Go for it after Cap1 turns 6 months old.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 12
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

Just to note, I reread your second plan and, IMO, doing the Green > PRG plan you laid out would actually reduce the chances for getting the PRG.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 5 of 12
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

@b_seeker wrote:

Just to note, I reread your second plan and, IMO, doing the Green > PRG plan you laid out would actually reduce the chances for getting the PRG.

OK. Thanks.. I didn't know that they have basically the same requirement.   Then I'll just apply PRG for him directly . 

But.. just out of curiousity.. The dead Zync card also has the same requirement with Amex Plat?

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 6 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@w20031424 wrote:

@b_seeker wrote:

OK. Thanks.. I didn't know that they have basically the same requirement.   Then I'll just apply PRG for him directly . 

But.. just out of curiousity.. The dead Zync card also has the same requirement with Amex Plat?

Just curious but why are you apping for the cards for him?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 12
mauwow0682
Frequent Contributor

I was going ask the same thing....why can't he apply on his own?

What you were sort of hinting/questioning about is what people do when they want to apply for a revolver. It's advised to apply for a charge card first then immediately after if approved apply for a revolver. Basically getting two birds with one stone. If you're denied a charge card then you were most likely going to be denied the revolver because those are more difficult to get.

Starting Score: 620 FAKO
Current Score: FICO TU 715 (wal-mart) FICO EQ 692
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 12
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@w20031424 wrote:

@b_seeker wrote:

Just curious but why are you apping for the cards for him?

I mean assisting him to apply for it. He's just a noob on this. And our relationship is as good as brothers.

edit by webhopper

Message 9 of 12
RhubarbPie
New Contributor

As an FYI, if you were to apply for Green, and then try to apply for Gold while you're still holding Green (or any other similar charge card product), you're not going to get the PRG bonus. Your Green would need to have been cancelled for at least 90 days before you could successfully apply for PRG with a bonus.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.