Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply for CLI after automatic increase?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apply for CLI after automatic increase?

Hi, I'm a bit perplexed about what to do.  I have two Synchrony cards, one is through Lowes which has a 7k limit, the other is CareCredit with a 10k limit.  Ok, so basically I got the Lowe's card for appliance purchases, used it for that, paid it off a few months ago, and my "plan" had been to max out my CareCredit card, take the 0% interest option for 12 months, and then pay it all off much faster than that, keep my Lowe's card at 0, and then, once I had paid off my CareCredit card within 6 or so months, to close my Lowe's account, and request a very large CLI on my CareCredit, which I actually want.  I didn't know for a fact that my "plan" was the best way to do it, but I just thought by closing my lowe's card, the bank's overall exposure to me would be lowered, plus combining that with the rapid and large payment history with CareCredit, they'd be inclined to see I would use and could afford to pay on a higher limit CareCredit account.  Anyway, I'm only 3 months into my "plan" and CareCredit automatically raised my limit $1k without a request to my current 10k limit (previously 9k obviously). 

So, I'm just wondering, should I wait like 6 months or 9 months from now because they already did an increase automatically, and therefore I kind of missed my window to ask for more?  I want my CareCredit limit very high if I can get it, because I want to use it for a few very expensive things, but I would prefer not to have it show as 100% maxed whenever I use it.  My current highest limit card is 50k, at Citibank, just a mastercard, if that makes a difference.  I don't want to waste an inquiry if I won't get approved because they just raised my limit, and I don't want to close my Lowe's card and lower my available credit if it's all going to be in vain.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Apply for CLI after automatic increase?

Your best bet is to call Credit Solutions.  The number can be found searching the forums.  Ask for 25k on the CareCredit Card. If they don't give the full amount they will counter offer you the highest they are willing to extend.  If your credit supports it which it sounds like it does, you can do this request now without worrying about closing the Lowes card.  The CLI from the other day won't stand in the way, and when you call Credit Solutions it's almost always a soft pull.  You can ask to make sure.

Message 2 of 5
GeorgiaBulldog
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Your best bet is to call Credit Solutions.  The number can be found searching the forums.  Ask for 25k on the CareCredit Card. If they don't give the full amount they will counter offer you the highest they are willing to extend.  If your credit supports it which it sounds like it does, you can do this request now without worrying about closing the Lowes card.  The CLI from the other day won't stand in the way, and when you call Credit Solutions it's almost always a soft pull.  You can ask to make sure.

From what I have read on the forums, CLI requests for CareCredit are almost always a hard pull--it's an anomaly among Synchrony cards.

Favorite cards: AMEX Morgan Stanley Platinum | BofA Alaska | Chase Hyatt | Citi AA Executive | FNBO Amtrak
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GeorgiaBulldog wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

From what I have read on the forums, CLI requests for CareCredit are almost always a hard pull--it's an anomaly among Synchrony cards.

Thanks for the clarification, was not aware.

Message 4 of 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

If a HP is the case, then I guess that isn't the route you want to go from what you said. Although, outside of the no guarantee auto increases, to get your limit where you'd like it to be, it sounds like a HP would be needed anyway.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.