Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply for CSP or garden?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apply for CSP or garden?

I recently applied & was approved for a Zync (npsl), which I received a few days ago. My other credit card is a Citi Dividend Platinum (10k limit) and a Kohl's card (if you want to count that..$700 limit). Balance is always $0 on every account as I pay in full each month. So now, I have 2 "real" credit cards and was wondering if it is right to apply for the CSP or garden my Amex & Citi? Currently have 2 hard inquiries on experian only (**which chase will most likely pull**) and no baddies on any report. Thanks.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Apply for CSP or garden?

How is your AAoA? I think you have a chance, given you have a 10K CL from a CC. Chase only hands out CSP when they feel comfortable extending 5K+ credit to you.

Message 2 of 13
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Your file is very thin. Csp might be stretch for you. While fico is okay, your credit file might trip one of their hard filters. Still think worth apping for though.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@trumpet-205 wrote:

How is your AAoA? I think you have a chance, given you have a 10K CL from a CC. Chase only hands out CSP when they feel comfortable extending 5K+ credit to you.

AAoA will be 3 years (with the recent Amex app) in a few months. It's 2 years 9 months now. If I was approved for CSP, AAoA drops to 2 years and 2 months. 

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Crashem wrote:
Your file is very thin. Csp might be stretch for you. While fico is okay, your credit file might trip one of their hard filters. Still think worth apping for though.

Thanks for the reply. I have had a Chase premier plus checking account with them for 2 years now, if that helps. I do like the 40k signup bonus (after spending 3k I believe), but I might hold off for now. I don't want to get denied for 2 hard inqs. But, I really do want the card. 

Message 5 of 13
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I think people are too inquiry sensitive. Fico effects are gone in year. 6 months and most of effects are gone. a couple of inquiries isn't a lot. If you want csp, then go for it. You are close enough that it is worth effort.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 6 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Crashem wrote:
I think people are too inquiry sensitive. Fico effects are gone in year. 6 months and most of effects are gone. a couple of inquiries isn't a lot. If you want csp, then go for it. You are close enough that it is worth effort.

+1

You're not going to get denied for 2 inquiries alone.  I agree with Crash's assessment to just go for it: 2 vs 3 inquiries is pretty immaterial, and it's going to age on the same timeline as your Amex inquiry regardless.  I'm just making a blithe assumption that you were planning to hang out for another six or twelve months anyway post this round of applications, so who cares as the damage is nearly immaterial at that point even if you do wind up getting denied worst case, and I think you have a decent shot at a CSP,  

That two years of Chase checking is nothing but goodness too with Chase's stance on customer loyalty since circa start of this year.

        
Message 7 of 13
xiownthisplacex
Frequent Contributor

I had 8 inquiries and a 698 EQ when i got my CSP and AAoA was 1yr 3 months. I did have a Chase United 5k limit for about 7 months though and Chase Checking and Savings.

I say go for it, I doubt that they will say no.

Message 8 of 13
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Chase pulled tu for me, I think you should go for it. Besides, chase doesn't look down on amex, quite the opposite
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 9 of 13
Open123
Super Contributor

I'd definitely apply.

Inquiries aren't that big of a deal unless it's combined with other derogs of some kind.  2 or 3 isn't much at all.  I'd take the risk, especially since the CSP is well worth the price of an inquiry even if you were to be declined.  With Chase, you can always recon.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.