Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply for New Amex

tag
mahendra82
Contributor

Apply for New Amex

I just received the new Amex Zync, and I'm wondering how I'll be able to apply for a new amex account. They soft-pulled by ex, and sent me an email about three cards that look enticing (the blue, delta, and gold).  I just got a new BOA Signature Visa Cash so I'm afriad I have too many new accounts. I'd appreciate your advice. 

Also, I don't have any other tradelines besides BBRZ (500 limit) and HSBC (400). From what I've been hearing my 6k limit with BOA won't appear on my CRA, so I'm looking for a tradeline that will lower by util. I plan on keeping an average balance of under 100 per month. Thanks

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Apply for New Amex

Hello can you tell us when your Zync got approved? Personally I'd wait until the 6 month mark with them at least. Then I'd apply for Blue or Blue cash unless you have a need for the SPG, Delta or Hilton cards...My personal plan is to do a product change to Premier Gold (got Zync two weeks ago) next year and then apply for the Starwood card down the road sometime. I don't think it makes sense to have Zync and Gold both.
Message 2 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@mahendra82 wrote:

I just received the new Amex Zync, and I'm wondering how I'll be able to apply for a new amex account. They soft-pulled by ex, and sent me an email about three cards that look enticing (the blue, delta, and gold).  I just got a new BOA Signature Visa Cash so I'm afriad I have too many new accounts. I'd appreciate your advice. 

Also, I don't have any other tradelines besides BBRZ (500 limit) and HSBC (400). From what I've been hearing my 6k limit with BOA won't appear on my CRA, so I'm looking for a tradeline that will lower by util. I plan on keeping an average balance of under 100 per month. Thanks

Like the other poster, I would wait until you have 6 statements under your belt with Zync before applying for an amex credit card product.  But I would probably only get the blue if I spent lots and lots on the card to make the rewards good.

Message 3 of 13
GQ-007
Valued Member

If i knew what I learned recently from this forum, I'd likely would not have made some of the decisons in pursuing the certein credit cards. However, it worth noting that in a from mid -september until last week, I applied for 3 amex cards. I started with Zinc because I misunderstood the reward points. I thought you recieved 2 points per dollar on all purchases as opposed to specific categories. I followed up with applying for SPG the next day and Platinum last week. Lucky for me, I was approved for all. But I really don't need the Zync. However, the reason why I raised this is because I don't know what time period between applications is appropiate. And, I how can you determine between a hard vs soft pull?

Message 4 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@GQ-007 wrote:

If i knew what I learned recently from this forum, I'd likely would not have made some of the decisons in pursuing the certein credit cards. However, it worth noting that in a from mid -september until last week, I applied for 3 amex cards. I started with Zinc because I misunderstood the reward points. I thought you recieved 2 points per dollar on all purchases as opposed to specific categories. I followed up with applying for SPG the next day and Platinum last week. Lucky for me, I was approved for all. But I really don't need the Zync. However, the reason why I raised this is because I don't know what time period between applications is appropiate. And, I how can you determine between a hard vs soft pull?

Well there isn't actually a specific time period between apps, it's just that some getting the zync have less than perfect credit and they really need to establish themselves with amex and continue to work on there baddies for a better chance at a credit card product.

Also each new application for Amex will be a hard unless done same day I believe they use to not pull again, not sure if it's still the same.

Message 5 of 13
GQ-007
Valued Member

But how can you tell the difference between a hard and soft pull? I've heard the term but can't seem to tell when looking at my report.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can do one of two things. Check your CR reports, they will list two types of inquiries. One that effects your score (hard) and ones that don't (soft) usually you can only see the softs on your full report annualcreditreport.com. The third party lists the hards only IME. You would also be able to call AMEX and ask what they did. Either way...
Message 7 of 13
GQ-007
Valued Member

thanks

Message 8 of 13
mahendra82
Contributor

Thanks everyone. 

They did a soft pull on October 18, which was the same date that I got the email of offers. I suppose there is still a good chance that those offers aren't really preapprovals. I've had 3 inquires (2 from Bank of America since I applied for two but ended up closing one since it was the wrong card and one from amex for the zync) this month. Are these new accounts a red flag for BOA? 

I'm not really sure what my Experian score is, but I have a 725 for my Experian Fico Score Plus. 

Message 9 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@mahendra82 wrote:

Thanks everyone. 

They did a soft pull on October 18, which was the same date that I got the email of offers. I suppose there is still a good chance that those offers aren't really preapprovals. I've had 3 inquires (2 from Bank of America since I applied for two but ended up closing one since it was the wrong card and one from amex for the zync) this month. Are these new accounts a red flag for BOA? 

I'm not really sure what my Experian score is, but I have a 725 for my Experian Fico Score Plus. 

If they are pre-approving you for it, I think you have a pretty good chance of getting it... Can't say I have seen a lot of talk about being denied after being offered something.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.