Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply for PenFed Amex Card?

tag
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: Apply for PenFed Amex Card?

That's what I'm trying to do with penfed, build a history and then hopefully get in with them.

Message 11 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@CS800 wrote:
That's what I'm trying to do with penfed, build a history and then hopefully get in with them.

Whats the eligibility for PenFed?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 12 of 17
CS800
Super Contributor

I already have a checking with them but was denied a CC so I'm thinking and hoping that in 6 months they would offer me something.

Message 13 of 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@CS800 wrote:

@LynetteM wrote:

My PenFed AmEx doesn't have an AF.

+1 according to Penfed's website

Huh, I wonder when that happened. That was the big debate, when it first came out, as to whether it was worth the fee.

I'm going to have to start reading my PenFed emails, I see! Smiley Very Happy

eta: after some digging around, it appears that the fee was discontinued in early 2011, and the BT fee was increased 0.5%.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 17
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you all for your feedback...before applying I called and spoke with 2 different people who told me that I would be declined for the card because I have been approved the max limit at this time for any credit based on whats on my credit report and DTI. The lady I spoke with today said the PenFed Amex card is the only card that starts with a minimum of $5k limit and recommended to apply for it after having 6 months of history with them. 

Yep...unless receive a preapproval before then, wait at least 12 months from initial approval, to app more revolving credit for best results.  

They typically like to see at least one year of payment history with them before being approached for more.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@score_building wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you all for your feedback...before applying I called and spoke with 2 different people who told me that I would be declined for the card because I have been approved the max limit at this time for any credit based on whats on my credit report and DTI. The lady I spoke with today said the PenFed Amex card is the only card that starts with a minimum of $5k limit and recommended to apply for it after having 6 months of history with them. 

Yep...unless receive a preapproval before then, wait at least 12 months from initial approval, to app more revolving credit for best results.  

They typically like to see at least one year of payment history with them before being approached for more.

Yea I will wait on preapproval and automatic CLI Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 17
CS800
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@score_building wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yea I will wait on preapproval and automatic CLI Smiley Happy

Penfed are very tough on recons. I dont think I have heard a success story with recons.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.