Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply for Secure or Unsecured Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apply for Secure or Unsecured Card?

Hi All, I could use some quick advice here before moving forward.

I am rebulding my credit and still have some items (student loans) in collections that will be rehabbed in June, and my scores are currently in the lower 500s.

Prior to last month, I had NO revolving credit. I got a Wells Fargo secure card ($500) last month, and am ready to get another card.

I am leaning towards a Capitol One card of some sort, and the question is, should I do another secure card, or try for a unsecure card? According to thier website Ive been pre qualified for a platinum or quicksilver, but I'm thinking my scores may be too low at this point, + the fact that my student loans are still in collections?

Thanks for any help here!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Apply for Secure or Unsecured Card?

I would attempt the Cap-1 unsecured cards first before going for another secured. If you are getting a pre qual offer the Cap-1 site is pretty solid.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks gdale.....do you think the 2 pending disputes for EX and EQ will hurt or otherwise hurt my chances of getting the Cap One unsecured?

Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

thanks gdale.....do you think the 2 pending disputes for EX and EQ will hurt or otherwise hurt my chances of getting the Cap One unsecured?

I would not be apping while you are waiting for disputes to clear.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.