Apply for Zync?

tag
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Apply for Zync?

@GST2008 wrote:

@cmthomas06 wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

In november, you'd have a year old revolving credit line and more than 6 months with discover. You would also have no inquiries in the previous 6 months (assuming discover was your last). I think that would be the optimal time to apply for the maximize chances vs maximize backdating strategy.

+1

From what I have been told, AMEX backdates to the year you open the account (Im assuming activating your card). When you apple for another AMEX, they take the month of the new card app and the year of the oldest account. I just got approved for the Zync and its in the mail =) I would def. agree with waiting a couple more months, but be sure to get it before the end of the year

This is kind of a random question but .... So If OP were to apply for Zync in December 2012 and get the card, it would show a date of 12/12 on his CR.  If in June of 2013, he were to apply for a revolver (the Blue Cash for example), this card would show 6/12 on the CRs and would essentially report as being older than his orignal card?

I've been aware of the backdating policy for sometime, but never actually thought about it regarding the month.  So in theory, he could then open another card in May of 2014, and each new card would be older than the last until he reached January?

That is correct.  This is why January is app for AMEX month for those with Amex already

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 21 of 26
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@GST2008 wrote:

@cmthomas06 wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

In november, you'd have a year old revolving credit line and more than 6 months with discover. You would also have no inquiries in the previous 6 months (assuming discover was your last). I think that would be the optimal time to apply for the maximize chances vs maximize backdating strategy.

+1

From what I have been told, AMEX backdates to the year you open the account (Im assuming activating your card). When you apple for another AMEX, they take the month of the new card app and the year of the oldest account. I just got approved for the Zync and its in the mail =) I would def. agree with waiting a couple more months, but be sure to get it before the end of the year

This is kind of a random question but .... So If OP were to apply for Zync in December 2012 and get the card, it would show a date of 12/12 on his CR.  If in June of 2013, he were to apply for a revolver (the Blue Cash for example), this card would show 6/12 on the CRs and would essentially report as being older than his orignal card?

I've been aware of the backdating policy for sometime, but never actually thought about it regarding the month.  So in theory, he could then open another card in May of 2014, and each new card would be older than the last until he reached January?

yes... i app'd in december  2011 for amex blue,  approved,  app'd and recv'd NPSL zync in january 2012, but card is actually back dated to   1/2011 thus  11 months older than my first amex card. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 22 of 26
Exonumist
Established Contributor

Thanks everyone for all the backdating info. With that I think I'm going to wait until mid December to maximize my chances of approval. I'm thinking the 17th looks good. I will say though, I think they are trying to tease me now. A business that I have had never gotten an Amex offer before and about a week after I checked for preapprovals they mailed an invite for a Gold Business card to the business. :/ lol. 

I ended up calling Discover and they did an offcycle report for me. The lady acted like I was crazy to even ask if it had been reported and then started questioning if I was trying to buy a house or car. lol. We'll see if TU actually has it in a few days. As far as EQ I'm going to wait until next week for that seventh statement from Cap1 and then only deal with calling them if I still can't get access.

Message 23 of 26
FrugalRican
Blogger

Try December 3-5 or 10-12.

December 17th is a Monday and you run the risk of "Pending" for a week or two, specially during holiday season. When it comes to apping for an AMEX, I (personally) wouldn't want to cut it that close to the end of the year.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 24 of 26
Exonumist
Established Contributor

I was thinking the 17th mostly to give Cap1 time to show up one reports for that month. The statement clsoing date is the 12th. Does it not really matter?

Message 25 of 26
Exonumist
Established Contributor

So I just thought I'd give a quick update. Discover did an offcycle report for me to try and get TU to actually do something. It's now showing on my report. I realize the number makes no difference on CreditKarma, but my score on there initially went up by ten points to 660. Today my Cap1 card finally showed up for this month with the zero balance down from about 1% and the score jumped another 48 points! So now CK is showing at 708. I'm pretty excited and hoping that equifax will actually verify sometime soon so I can get my real FICO scores...

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.