Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply for new credit card or CLI?

tag
jhr4
Established Member

Apply for new credit card or CLI?

Yesterday, I got the last of all of the negtives I can get off by GW'ing. I still have a charge off (listed as PIF...did so in 2011) for $100 on a Verion DSL account dated back to October 2007 still on my reports, but can't get them to budge. Not giving up on Verizon, but I would like to think about my next steps.

Should I try to increase my BoA CL? Or go for a new CC?

If I were to get a CC, I would like to get something that will grow with me. I don't want many cards to my name. I feel that getting a Amex charge card would fit my usage patterns the best (I have only used a debit card in the last 3 years), but really want to do my homework once I pick my next step.

Do I have the scores for an Amex?

Is the 3 year old paid charge off from Verizon going to significantly hurt me when apping?

Does the lack of other cards with high credit limit hurt me?

I actually like BoA. Any ideas what my approach should be if I go down the CLI?

Info

Salary: Job $100k, a couple ~$20k of investment income a year

Overall CC CL: $800

TU (Fico): 722

EQ (Fico): 709

EX: unknown (assuming hirer than both because report does not have the verizon account)

AAoA: 5 years (includes some older utils and small university loans that were closed in good standing)

BoA Platinum Plus CC

Opened: Apr 2007

Balance: $0

CL: $500

Had a 30/60  day late in Summer 2011. Now removed (Convinced them to remove b/c they were caused by annual fee I didn't know about)

(note I also have had my primary checking account with them since 2003)

Orchard Bank CC

Opened: Jan 2008

CL: $300

Had a 30 late from Mar 2012. Now removed (Convinced them to remove b/c they were caused by annual fee I didn't know about)

Car loan (Installment)

Opened: Aug 2009

Amount: $20000

Balance: ~$4500

No lates

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Re: Apply for new credit card or CLI?

@jhr4 wrote:

Yesterday, I got the last of all of the negtives I can get off by GW'ing. I still have a charge off (listed as PIF...did so in 2011) for $100 on a Verion DSL account dated back to October 2007 still on my reports, but can't get them to budge. Not giving up on Verizon, but I would like to think about my next steps.

Should I try to increase my BoA CL? Or go for a new CC?

If I were to get a CC, I would like to get something that will grow with me. I don't want many cards to my name. I feel that getting a Amex charge card would fit my usage patterns the best (I have only used a debit card in the last 3 years), but really want to do my homework once I pick my next step.

Do I have the scores for an Amex?

Is the 3 year old paid charge off from Verizon going to significantly hurt me when apping?

Does the lack of other cards with high credit limit hurt me?

I actually like BoA. Any ideas what my approach should be if I go down the CLI?

Info

Salary: Job $100k, a couple ~$20k of investment income a year

Overall CC CL: $800

TU (Fico): 722

EQ (Fico): 709

EX: unknown (assuming hirer than both because report does not have the verizon account)

AAoA: 5 years (includes some older utils and small university loans that were closed in good standing)

BoA Platinum Plus CC

Opened: Apr 2007

CL: $500

Had a 30/60  day late in Summer 2011. Now removed (Convinced them to remove b/c they were caused by annual fee I didn't know about)

(note I also have had my primary checking account with them since 2003)

Orchard Bank CC

Opened: Jan 2008

CL: $300

Had a 30 late from Mar 2012. Now removed (Convinced them to remove b/c they were caused by annual fee I didn't know about)

Car loan (Installment)

Opened: Aug 2009

Amount: $20000

Balance: ~$4500

No lates

From what you said above,    I'd say your best bet would be AMEX if you want a good charge card you'd pay off every month, they offer great protections as far as purchases go.  I wouldn't count on the BOA giving much of a CLI with ANYTHING negative on your reports considering your other info btw (IMHO).

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 2 of 4
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

you should sent goodwill to all the late and paid collection and see what they can do before apps for anything......your change getting approved for a higher card if those baddie removed...

Call for increase too but make sure there no hard pull....

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 3 of 4
jhr4
Established Member

Thanks for your reponses

@nicholasyud wrote:

you should sent goodwill to all the late and paid collection and see what they can do before apps for anything......your change getting approved for a higher card if those baddie removed...

Call for increase too but make sure there no hard pull....

All of the badies are removed from all reports except for the Verizon issues, but I will hold off until it ages another year before I figure out what to do with the BoA card. Hopefully I can increase it at some point since it is my oldest CC, but it will have to happen another day.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.