cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply in store or online for Lowes card??

tag
ssdc1980
New Contributor

Apply in store or online for Lowes card??

About a year ago I applied online for the lowes card and was approved with a starting cl of $500, which was no problem for me. However my brother has just closed on his first home and is now looking to update a few things. Seeing as how a starting cl around the $500 mark isn't enough to cover what he's looking to do, will he have better odds of a higher initial cl if he apps in store?

His tu fico is around 670 and his history if pretty clean with the exception of a co for a parking ticket from abot 2 years ago.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Apply in store or online for Lowes card??

It doesn't matter but after the approval he should call and request a CLI. Did you call after your approval?
Message 2 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
It doesn't matter but after the approval he should call and request a CLI. Did you call after your approval?

+1 If after approval its not enough have him call the backdoor number GE/credit solutions for an increase 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 10
ssdc1980
New Contributor

No, I waited a couple months then called ($500 to $1k). Then again a few months later ($1k to $5k)

I'll tell him to apply online right now then.
Message 4 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@ssdc1980 wrote:
No, I waited a couple months then called ($500 to $1k). Then again a few months later ($1k to $5k)

Tell your brother good luck

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 5 of 10
Elcid89
Contributor

@ssdc1980 wrote:

Anotehr useful tactic is also to call from the store when he is trying to make a major purchase with his card. They will often approve the CLI in order to facilitate the sale.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 6 of 10
ssdc1980
New Contributor

I gave my bro the Lowe's recon number and after 15 mins and 2 reps he was still stuck with $1000 cl. I then suggested that he apply for the Home Depot card to see what they could do for him. He came to my house and applied online and was approved for $750. After seeing how disappointed he was I told him to call the back door number same as before and see if they would cli. He called and spoke with a very nice rep whom after 3 or 4 mins approved an increase to $3500. He was more than happy.

Today, because of what I've learned from these forums and its amazing contributors, I was able to help my brother get a credit card that will help him tremendously to fix/update his first home.

Thank you everybody for your help
Message 7 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Congrats to your DB! He has you to thank for his successful mini-spree.
Message 8 of 10
ssdc1980
New Contributor

And he did so by taking me out for a fast food dinner.. All expenses paid!! Haha.
Message 9 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@ssdc1980 wrote:
I gave my bro the Lowe's recon number and after 15 mins and 2 reps he was still stuck with $1000 cl. I then suggested that he apply for the Home Depot card to see what they could do for him. He came to my house and applied online and was approved for $750. After seeing how disappointed he was I told him to call the back door number same as before and see if they would cli. He called and spoke with a very nice rep whom after 3 or 4 mins approved an increase to $3500. He was more than happy.

Today, because of what I've learned from these forums and its amazing contributors, I was able to help my brother get a credit card that will help him tremendously to fix/update his first home.

Thank you everybody for your help

Congrats to your brother 

And a big BRAVO to you for passing the knowledge forward 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.