cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply online or call for new credit card?

tag
Reighn9
Frequent Contributor

Apply online or call for new credit card?

I want to get a Best Western Rewards MC and a Choice Hotels Visa, both by Barclay's because I'm planning a big trip this summer across the US and into Canada. Which would be more beneficial, to apply online or call? And is there a special department I should talk to if I call?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
sunkissed
Established Contributor

Re: Apply online or call for new credit card?

I don't have any experience with Barclay, but it usually doesn't matter whether you submit your application online or over the phone.

I'm certain someone with Barclay experience will chime in.

Good luck to you!

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 2 of 6
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

My personal opinion is that you would get a clear approval or deny the first time, calling in.  Many people get denied online, only to call in, talk to a human, and get approved.  Most people seem to rather avoid speaking to someone and take the answer they get online.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 3 of 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Yes, it usually doesn't matter in terms of acceptance (or CL etc) whether you apply online or call.    

Sometimes, with Citi for example, going into the branch will get you a better offer than is easily available online or calling.   Same for Chase, there was a period when the CSP needed only $2k of spend if you got it through the branch, vs $3k spend through the normal public channels.  (With some searching, you could find links offering the same terms)

Message 4 of 6
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Just be careful if any signup bonus is offered.  Also make sure you know all of the terms on the account.  Sometimes the offer for the same card is different depending on whether you apply online or call in.

EDIT:  longtimelurker beat me to the point.  It is true though, that you don't always get exactly the same thing by calling in.  IME, with the Arrival card, I got a higher signup bonus by using the online offer.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 5 of 6
Reighn9
Frequent Contributor

I always read the terms and conditions first. That's good to know though about the sign-up bonus possibly being different.  I don't have a problem talking to a person. I don't think there are any special online offers for the BW card, but I've received some emails on the Choice Visa with sign-up bonuses offered. Would there be a problem applying for one on the phone and one online? Should I wait between applying for each one?  I really would like to have both for my trip as I stay in both hotel chains quite a bit.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.