Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply online or over the phone?

tag
Drefrombk
New Contributor

Apply online or over the phone?

Which do you prefer...Online apps or over the phone apps? Which one works better for you?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
FicoScore626
Frequent Contributor

Re: Apply online or over the phone?

Even though I tend to be anti-social to a fault, I actually prefer applying over the phone than online. For whatever reason I've convinced myself that I'll have a slightly better chance with an approval if I apply over the phone.

I got instant approvals when I applied over the phone with Discover and HSBC... Also got an instant approval when one of the account reps applied for a Chase Slate for me while I was at one of the local branches. Chase started me off with a good limit, Discover started me off with a FANTASTIC limit and HSBC started me off with a low limit.

Message 2 of 13
aftermath
Established Contributor

It makes no difference.

If you call, all the CSR will do is bring up the standard application form that you would see online and punch the information in for you instead.

The only difference is that if you get denied while applying over the phone, the CSR can tell you right away the reasons for denial because you already have her on the phone.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 3 of 13
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@aftermath wrote:

It makes no difference.

If you call, all the CSR will do is bring up the standard application form that you would see online and punch the information in for you instead.

The only difference is that if you get denied while applying over the phone, the CSR can tell you right away the reasons for denial because you already have her on the phone.

If you apply on the phone with a Loan Officer/Underwriter, you'd have a chance to state your case should any warning signs arise.  I'd much rather apply over the phone. 

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 4 of 13
Drefrombk
New Contributor

I'm starting to lean towards the phone...feel like I have a chance to negotiate

Message 5 of 13
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

You can explain a problem, if you have one, to a person, but you can't to a computer.  I only do business face to face.  I have found out over my lifetime that it works better in the long run.  Besides, you are building a business relationship with that person, or company.   

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 6 of 13
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I prefer online - quick, easy and I don't have to spell out my last name, street name, etc.  Smiley Very Happy

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 13
DI
Super Contributor

I would rather apply online.  If you apply via phone it may be hard to get a recon if not approved by a rep. 

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You darned kids these days with your fancy on-line and telephone credit card applications.Smiley Happy  When I was a young'un we used to call and ask them to send you a paper application, A week later when that arrived you would fill it out with a ball point pen and mail it back  and then wait another month for a card to show up in the mail or else a rejection letter.

Now you kids quit playing on my grass.

Message 9 of 13
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You darned kids these days with your fancy on-line and telephone credit card applications.Smiley Happy  When I was a young'un we used to call and ask them to send you a paper application, A week later when that arrived you would fill it out with a ball point pen and mail it back  and then wait another month for a card to show up in the mail or else a rejection letter.

Now you kids quit playing on my grass.

You ain't as old as you think...now, hand me that quill! 

(you cracked me up with this post, at 8 AM no less, and with a hangover!)  Smiley Very Happy

@Drefrombk: I prefer online.  The less human involvement, the better.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.