Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying For Multiple American Express Cards

tag
Hooosier
Contributor

Applying For Multiple American Express Cards

I was recently approved for an American Express BCE.  I've seen lots of folks on these boards with multiple American Express cards and I wonder if I should attempt going the same route.  My question is since I just applied for the BCE in the last week would they do another HP for an additional card or would they use the same HP?  I had 5 HP on my App Spree last week so I obviously don't want to apply for another AmEx if it will result in another HP - could I basically get two cards for one HP?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Rackham94
Established Contributor

Re: Applying For Multiple American Express Cards

The method you are referencing is in regards to applying for a Charge card and if approved immediately apply to one of their revolvers. If you got your card and everything then it would be SP if denied and HP if approved. Due to inqs probably deny would wait 60 days.

Message 2 of 14
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

WIth AMEX its best to delay your next AP to january, then your second card will actaully appear on your report as older than your first card. You wait 6 months and get a card that is 1 year old. Seems like a big win.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 14
HiLine
Blogger

Amex will pull another hard inquiry on you. Whether the new inquiry will be merged with the previous inquiry is to the CRA's discretion. If the new inquiry will be on the same day as the old inquiry, you have a shot. 

Message 4 of 14
Open123
Super Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

WIth AMEX its best to delay your next AP to january, then your second card will actaully appear on your report as older than your first card. You wait 6 months and get a card that is 1 year old. Seems like a big win.

+1

Unless there's a compelling reason to now, it's best to wait until Jan of next year.  In the current environment, I think Amex and other issuers will be scrutinzing more than usual with multiple applications.

Message 5 of 14
NY_Beauty
Regular Contributor

I didn't get two HPs from Amex when I appled for the Delta Rewards Gold and a few days later the Green.  I guess YMMV...

Amex Green Amex Gold Delta Rewards Discover IT CU Rewards Visa Closed on my new home 5/2013!

Message 6 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Since you got BCE with opening of $10k you are as good as approved for another card if you want (another HP)

I would say unless you are looking to apply for something that has a great bonus right now that you will meet requirements to get or it's going to save you money (like bag checking) waiting wouldn't be terrible for backdating AND....

Amex BCE will be eligible for CLI to $25k (could go for $30k if you wanted, some have had no issues doing that) then won't be eligible for CLI for 6 months... If you take another card out right now you will miss the 60 day CLI and will have to choose between the BCE or the new card to do the CLI and then won't be able to get anymore until 6 months on either account.  You could wait for the 60 day and do the CLI on BCE and then go in and apply for new card and just wait 6 months from then but again backdate would be better UNLESS the bonus or money savings is greater which would be pretty easy!

What card you thinking?

Message 7 of 14
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

I would wait simply because of spending needs. Most new cards need a certain level of spending to obtain spending bonuses, and if all 5 of your cards have such requirements you would be better off waiting to ensure you aren't spending more than you would otherwise. If you typically spend $6,000 every 90 days, then go for it. But be aware that $6,000 on credit cards is difficult for most.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 8 of 14
RSCo
Established Contributor

@Hooosier wrote:

I was recently approved for an American Express BCE.  I've seen lots of folks on these boards with multiple American Express cards and I wonder if I should attempt going the same route.  My question is since I just applied for the BCE in the last week would they do another HP for an additional card or would they use the same HP?  I had 5 HP on my App Spree last week so I obviously don't want to apply for another AmEx if it will result in another HP - could I basically get two cards for one HP?

I was approved for the their TrueEarnings card on the 21tst of this month, then they sent me an email 4 days later to apply for the GPR and I did and got that one too, both were hard pulls on EX..  Now have 3 cards..

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 9 of 14
Hooosier
Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

What card you thinking?

To be completely honest, I hadn't decided - I was just hopefuly I might be able to get two lines for one HP, but with all the advice I am going to wait until next January before trying anything else with American Express.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.