Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for 2nd AMEX before 6 months

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Applying for 2nd AMEX before 6 months

@FloridaState12 wrote:

Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys. I knew it was a long shot...the BCE is my ultimate goal in the credit card word at the moment, so I wasn't really expecting to reach it this soon in my credit life. Smiley Happy The main reason I applied was because I knew it would be a SP if I got denied, so I didn't really have much to worry about. 

The Chase Freedom was a nice consolation prize! Smiley Tongue

You will totally get BCE in the summer, before then 5% aint too shabby

Message 11 of 18
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@FloridaState12 wrote:

Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys. I knew it was a long shot...the BCE is my ultimate goal in the credit card word at the moment, so I wasn't really expecting to reach it this soon in my credit life. Smiley Happy The main reason I applied was because I knew it would be a SP if I got denied, so I didn't really have much to worry about. 

The Chase Freedom was a nice consolation prize! Smiley Tongue

You will totally get BCE in the summer, before then 5% aint too shabby

That would be awesome! And yes, the 5% will work nicely!

Photobucket
Message 12 of 18
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the approval! Amex is very finicky. That's why I waited so long to app w/them. I made sure my util was under 9% (it was around 5%) and double-checked my CR before apping, just to make sure everything looked okay. I actually waited until my CLI was reported, just so they'd see 3 CCs with $2k+ CL and only 2 with toy limits. It might not have made a difference, but I just wanted to look as good as possible in the eyes of Amex.

I agree, if you garden for another 3 to 6 mos and reapply, you should be good. Just make sure there are no baddies (or they're a long time ago) and your util is low.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 13 of 18
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

Congrats on the approval! Amex is very finicky. That's why I waited so long to app w/them. I made sure my util was under 9% (it was around 5%) and double-checked my CR before apping, just to make sure everything looked okay. I actually waited until my CLI was reported, just so they'd see 3 CCs with $2k+ CL and only 2 with toy limits. It might not have made a difference, but I just wanted to look as good as possible in the eyes of Amex.

I agree, if you garden for another 3 to 6 mos and reapply, you should be good. Just make sure there are no baddies (or they're a long time ago) and your util is low.

Thanks!

Yeah I pulled my reports a few days ago and the Citi balance was updated, but I guess the old report from January that AMEX used still had it at about a 2500/4000 balance. Should I call and tell them that I've paid that card off? I'm worried because I heard someone else called for a recon and was still denied WITH a hard pull. I just pulled my reports (via Citi Identity Monitor) and I can confirm that AMEX did not HP me, but Chase obviously did (pulled EQ for me in FL, for anyone wondering). 

I'm super new to credit...oldest account is a Cap1 opened last May. Plus I opened five new accounts in October...and just opened two more with Discover and Chase (though they don't know that yet). I know it sounds like a lot but I figure I can just eat my AAoA right now while I'm young and get my hands on all I can grab so my AAoA will be rock solid when I get older. I want an AMEX revolver and my collection will be complete. I have accounts with AMEX (charge), Citi, BoA, Chase, Barclays, Discover, Cap1, a CU, and Walmart...all at age 20. Smiley Happy 

I will try again at a later date most likely. 

Photobucket
Message 14 of 18
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I don't know what to tell you. It's odd that they used an old rept. How/where did they get it? I wouldn't think it would hurt to call the app in process number and tell them. But then you haven't gotten your declination letter with reasons yet, so maybe it would be better to wait. So much I'd this credit stuff is just best guess and hope for the best. If you call, you might want to confirm first that you won't get a HP from your call unless they approve you. Good luck whatever you decide. Smiley Happy

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 15 of 18
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:
I don't know what to tell you. It's odd that they used an old rept. How/where did they get it? I wouldn't think it would hurt to call the app in process number and tell them. But then you haven't gotten your declination letter with reasons yet, so maybe it would be better to wait. So much I'd this credit stuff is just best guess and hope for the best. If you call, you might want to confirm first that you won't get a HP from your call unless they approve you. Good luck whatever you decide. Smiley Happy

I chose the electronic delivery, so I did get the reasons why I was declined:

"We have received your application for Blue Cash EverydaySM . We have reviewed it, but unfortunately we will not be able to approve your request at this time.

Reason(s) for Our Decision

Your American Express Cardmember risk score is too high (See below)

Your application was processed using our American Express Cardmember Risk Score which evaluates existing cardmembers. The reasons you did not score well were:

Your FICO? score (See below)
Your debt with other creditors relative to the available credit as indicated by Experian.
The number of creditors who have reviewed your credit report.
The length of time you have been a customer with American Express is too short.

Information About Your FICO? Score
We obtained your FICO score from Experian and used it in making our credit decision. Your FICO score is a number that reflects the information in your credit report. Your FICO score can change, depending on how the information in your credit report changes. On January 21, 2012, your FICO score was 665. The FICO score ranges from 300 to 850. The following are the key factors that contributed to your FICO score:

Length of time accounts have been established.
Proportion of revolving balances to revolving credit limits is too high.
Proportion of loan balances to loan amount is too high.
Too many inquiries in the last 12 months"

Photobucket
Message 16 of 18
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Hmmm. It is odd that they are referencing your score from 30 days ago. Maybe because you have Zync and they've been softing you. IMO, it wouldn't hurt to call and say that you paid a CC since then and ask for a recon. What people have said here is that Amex only recons if your circumstances are different than in the letter. However, you still have the issue of short history and inq. How long have you had your oldest CC? I believe they like to see at least a year of history.

I think it couldn't hurt to try. But I haven't read about any successful Amex recons, as far as I can remember. I guess you have to decide how badly you want the card vs. waiting 6 more months. Sometimes I think a lot of this credit is a crap shoot. I read a ton of Amex threads because I was planning on apping, and frankly, I couldn't find any rhyme or reason, or any consistency among them. It's just impossible to predict.

If you really want the CC, then call and just confirm up front that they won't do a HP unless they approve you. Then you have nothing to lose. Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 18
dnice77
Regular Contributor

id ask for a recon but their credit product is tougher than thier charge product.

Starting Score: 617
Current Score: 744 Smiley Happy
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.