Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for AMEX PRG

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applying for AMEX PRG

Hi everyone, I have a quick question to ask that I could not find the answer to on google. I recently applied (and was approved) for the Marriot Rewards Premier card from Chase, and was wondering if it's better to wait for the new card to report before applying for the AMEX PRG, or just go ahead and apply right now? For some background, I am currently an undergraduate in college with a reported annual income of approximately $26,000 and have $3,400 limits across my Chase Freedom and Capital One Journey with the Marriot adding an additional $7,000. I'm not sure whether or not it's better to wait as I have read a few posts on these forums about people being denied from AMEX for 'having sufficient credit.'

Also, on a side note, before entering college my school had asked if I wanted to opt-out of recieving 'spam' credit mail and I did, but recently I manually opted back in via the automated system and was wondering if anyone had any idea about how long it takes for one to start recieving offers, as I was hoping to apply for the PRG under the 50,000 MR offer.

Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Applying for AMEX PRG

If you want offers, go to the amex site, and sign up. Opted in, or out, you'll get the emails from them.

If your loans aren't deffered, your balances are low, and you can afford to burn a HP, then go for it.

Message 2 of 5
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone, I have a quick question to ask that I could not find the answer to on google. I recently applied (and was approved) for the Marriot Rewards Premier card from Chase, and was wondering if it's better to wait for the new card to report before applying for the AMEX PRG, or just go ahead and apply right now? For some background, I am currently an undergraduate in college with a reported annual income of approximately $26,000 and have $3,400 limits across my Chase Freedom and Capital One Journey with the Marriot adding an additional $7,000. I'm not sure whether or not it's better to wait as I have read a few posts on these forums about people being denied from AMEX for 'having sufficient credit.'

Also, on a side note, before entering college my school had asked if I wanted to opt-out of recieving 'spam' credit mail and I did, but recently I manually opted back in via the automated system and was wondering if anyone had any idea about how long it takes for one to start recieving offers, as I was hoping to apply for the PRG under the 50,000 MR offer.

Thanks in advance. 

I have been waiting for that 50k prg offer for most of the year. Still no love from amex. You can try card match site an few people have been able to get the 50k offer thru there.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 5
MT936
Established Contributor

You should be good to apply if you want, the charge cards are not hard to get approved fory
Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 4 of 5
chalupaman
Super Contributor

I'd say go for it even if you don't have any specific prequalified offers on their site. I've never really gotten any offers online but have been approved for cards from them and other lenders nonetheless. My most recent charge card approval wasn't instant, but all I had to do was call them immediately and it didn't take too long for them to come back with an approval.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.