Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for AmEx BCE w/Maxed Out Freedom Card

tag
bribro
Valued Contributor

Applying for AmEx BCE w/Maxed Out Freedom Card

I plan on applying for an AmEx BCE around October of this year, 6 months after the last HPs hit my CR. One thing I just realized is that by October I will have surely maxed out the $15k credit line on my Freedom card since it has a 0% APR. Will having this maxed out card pretty much eliminate my chances of getting approved for a BCE? I can just pay it off but was planning to roll that $15k into some short-term investments since I'm not paying interest anyway. Thoughts?

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Re: Applying for AmEx BCE w/Maxed Out Freedom Card

Why do you need the AMEX?  You will probably have to choose.  Do you want to earn a couple dollars on that Freedom money, or do you want the Amex?  I would just hold off on it until your promo period ends on the Freedom and then app once you pay off the Freedom.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 23
FrugalRican
Blogger

Why are you waiting 6 months? The INQs will still show and be a part of your score.

I'm sure the 15K would look a lot scarier to them than the inquiries.

It's about 20% overall on your revolvers, but still 100% on one line.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 3 of 23
bribro
Valued Contributor

@thrasher865 wrote:

Why do you need the AMEX?  You will probably have to choose.  Do you want to earn a couple dollars on that Freedom money, or do you want the Amex?  I would just hold off on it until your promo period ends on the Freedom and then app once you pay off the Freedom.

I don't need it, but I'd like to start a relationship with AmEx for backdating purposes (I regret not having done it years ago). I definitely want to do it sometime this year. The 2% and 3% bonus categories are nice too.

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 4 of 23
bribro
Valued Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

Why are you waiting 6 months? The INQs will still show and be a part of your score.

I hear after 6 months HPs start to "hurt" less, and then drop off entirely after 12 months. Is the first part not true?

Message 5 of 23
ILBrian
Regular Contributor

How many HPS do you have now? maybe you should apply now before it maxes?

Wallet: Discover IT, Discover Gas, Citi Professional (6.74% apr), Chase Freedom, Cap1 Quciksilver, Élan Financial Rewards, BOA Amex, Walmart, CareCredit, Paypal Smart Connect, Kohls, HSBC Cash or Fly, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Amex Zync, Amex Blue Cash Preferred, USAA Plat Rewards, Chase Ink, NFCU Plat
Message 6 of 23
bribro
Valued Contributor

@ILBrian wrote:

How many HPS do you have now? maybe you should apply now before it maxes?

3 HPs. I'm thinking about doing that now. Has AmEx offered better than $100 for a $1k spend before?

Message 7 of 23
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Most likely pull experian for you. You have 3 hp on experian? Also for the bce, which is no af, 100 bucks is about it that I have seen recently. More has been available on bcp with its 75 af. I would definitely app now vs a high util freedom. Yes hps hurt less after 6 months and not at all after a year. But I think inquiriy is overrated unless you have a ton. If you want to be safe, go for zync with it's low af or any other charge card to start your backdating. Btw, I find an Amex charge card very useful for managing utilization.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 8 of 23
RyVision
Valued Contributor

If your reports are clean (as in spotless), your scores good and have a few decent TLs with those higher CLs and a few years AAoA, as well as income to support it all,  you might get it now.  You would most probably get Zync no problem if you want in for back dating and to start a relationship with AMEX. I agree with others that the UTIL will probably hurt more than INQ's when going for a revolver with AMEX. You could possibly apply for both on the same day and only take one HP for the 2 apps though.

I recently got AMEX Blue after having Zync around 8 months, with a few cards with high UTIL (similar situation), 2 INQ's previous 6 months with a 3rd nearing the 12 months mark (AMEX only pulled EX).

One thing about it though, if AMEX "knows" you for nearly 6 months before the Chase nears it's max, they'll pay less attention to it.

Hope that helps a bit.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 9 of 23
credithappy
Regular Contributor

@bribro wrote:

@FrugalRican wrote:

I hear after 6 months HPs start to "hurt" less, and then drop off entirely after 12 months. Is the first part not true?

That is not true.  The 12 months may hurt less and it is 24 months for your HP to drop off from your CR.  

Amex Green - Amex BCP - Amex Everyday Card - Amex Rose Gold - Elan Visa - Xcel FCU Visa - Walmart MC - Sam's MC - Macy's - Bloomingdales - Nordstrom - Sam's Club CC - Discover IT and US Bank Visa FlexPerks - AMEX HHonors - NAVcheck - NAVcashRewards Sig Visa, NAVgoRewards MC, Chase Amazon VISA, BoA CashRewards VISA - Chase Marriott Reward Premier CC, Jetblue Card MC, PenFed Power CR Visa Signature Card, Chase Freedom, Nordy VISA and BBVA
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.