Applying for AmEx BCE w/Maxed Out Freedom Card

tag
bribro
Valued Contributor

Re: Applying for AmEx BCE w/Maxed Out Freedom Card

@RyVision wrote:

@bribro wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

Personally I would consider apping for BCP instead.  There should be a $150 signup bonus for it.  Even with the AF, the difference is only $25.  With the bonus categories, for most people it would make up the difference in AF.  In a year, you can downgrade to BCE before new AF hits.

I've been thinking about that. Is it easy to PC to BCE if need be? Should I wait for a better BCP sign-up bonus?

After having the BCP the required length of time (12+ months).  If you're in good standing etc (which I doubt would be of any concern), AMEX will grant a PC from BCP to BCE with a simple phone call, no HP or or any other issues to worry about 99.9% of the time.  It's essentially the same card with different (lower)  rewards and no AF is all.  If you use BCP enough to justify the AF however, you could end up staying with it (some people no doubt find they more than pay for the AF with the rewards).

[EDIT]:  Forgot to mention, I haven't noticed any better bonus offer for some time for BCP and don't expect to. Others could have more info on that but you also have your application timing to consider (the Chase card balance etc).

So if I do decide to downgrade from BCP to BCE after 12+ months, they will still waive the $75 AF even after it hits right? I thought I read you get 30 days or something to do that. Good to know about the BCP bonus not having been much higher in the recent past.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 21 of 23
bribro
Valued Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

@bribro wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

Personally I would consider apping for BCP instead.  There should be a $150 signup bonus for it.  Even with the AF, the difference is only $25.  With the bonus categories, for most people it would make up the difference in AF.  In a year, you can downgrade to BCE before new AF hits.

I've been thinking about that. Is it easy to PC to BCE if need be? Should I wait for a better BCP sign-up bonus?

I wouldn't wait.  $150 bonus is good.  As you don't have AMEX, you want to get your member date set sooner than later.

Yeah, I'll check my CR's and apply in the next few weeks I think.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 22 of 23
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@bribro wrote:

@RyVision wrote:

@bribro wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

After having the BCP the required length of time (12+ months).  If you're in good standing etc (which I doubt would be of any concern), AMEX will grant a PC from BCP to BCE with a simple phone call, no HP or or any other issues to worry about 99.9% of the time.  It's essentially the same card with different (lower)  rewards and no AF is all.  If you use BCP enough to justify the AF however, you could end up staying with it (some people no doubt find they more than pay for the AF with the rewards).

[EDIT]:  Forgot to mention, I haven't noticed any better bonus offer for some time for BCP and don't expect to. Others could have more info on that but you also have your application timing to consider (the Chase card balance etc).

So if I do decide to downgrade from BCP to BCE after 12+ months, they will still waive the $75 AF even after it hits right? I thought I read you get 30 days or something to do that. Good to know about the BCP bonus not having been much higher in the recent past.

You will owe the 75 for first year, but you get 150 bonus for 1k spend. So effectively the bcp is 25 more than bce the first year. You can then product change around 12 months later to bce before new af hits or get it reversed. So you have a year to determine if extra bonus percent are worth paying the af or not.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.