WolvenASE

Applying for Amex - But Need Auto Loan. Advice?

Hello,

I have a relatively short credit history. Age of my accounts is about 2 and a half years. Started off with a share secure loan, and then received a pre-approved offer from Capital One with a limit of $500. Since then, my limit has increased to $1,250 and I've had a FICO credit score of 743 and 748. It's been decreased to 720, which I assume is from carrying a high balance for the last two months (which now has been paid off completely) and a recent hard inquiry from AT&T when opening up a new line.

I'd like to improve my credit portfolio, and the AMEX card sure is enticing - but I'm in the need of a vehicle, so I will be shopping for auto loans as well. My question is two-fold, and I understand it may be impossible to get specific answers - but some general ideas would be appreciated. So here goes:

1. Now that my balance has been paid off, will I see my FICO score go from 720 (last reported 1/8/14) back up to where it was before the following month?
2. Will the hit from applying for AMEX be significant enough to reduce any kind of rates I may otherwise get once I start shopping for auto loans?

I appreciate the feedback everyone. Thank you so much, and I'm definitely loving this forum.

Revelate

Re: Applying for Amex - But Need Auto Loan. Advice?

1) Probably

2) Auto loan > credit card.  Sort the auto loan first regardless.

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 673, EQ 8 707, TU 720, EX 702* (09/02/14, EX older)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ '04 (01/01/15)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
DaylightSlaving

Re: Applying for Amex - But Need Auto Loan. Advice?

WolvenASE wrote:

Hello,

I have a relatively short credit history. Age of my accounts is about 2 and a half years. Started off with a share secure loan, and then received a pre-approved offer from Capital One with a limit of $500. Since then, my limit has increased to $1,250 and I've had a FICO credit score of 743 and 748. It's been decreased to 720, which I assume is from carrying a high balance for the last two months (which now has been paid off completely) and a recent hard inquiry from AT&T when opening up a new line.

I'd like to improve my credit portfolio, and the AMEX card sure is enticing - but I'm in the need of a vehicle, so I will be shopping for auto loans as well. My question is two-fold, and I understand it may be impossible to get specific answers - but some general ideas would be appreciated. So here goes:

1. Now that my balance has been paid off, will I see my FICO score go from 720 (last reported 1/8/14) back up to where it was before the following month?
2. Will the hit from applying for AMEX be significant enough to reduce any kind of rates I may otherwise get once I start shopping for auto loans?

I appreciate the feedback everyone. Thank you so much, and I'm definitely loving this forum.

1. You should see a marginal increase now that your balance has been paid off.
2. Yes and no. It depends entirely upon the analyst or underwriter. It could mean a denial, it could mean you miss out on a better APR. Who knows? Why chance it?

I'd definitely handle the auto loan first. That's much more pressing than an AmEx card. The AmEx card won't take you to work and back. Well, I mean it could.. but you know what I mean!

You established your credit history with a loan, you've been making payments on your credit card (on time), and you've got a decent AAoA. That's all auto financing agencies care about (minus derogs of course). Honestly, getting the AmEx card isn't going to do much for you aside from adding another TL. Mind you, it'd be a new TL, so there'd be no history to show how you've been managing it. It'd just show an analyst that you opened a new line of credit before asking (applying) for another line of credit.

If you can take the INQ's, I'd close the deal on the auto loan and then hit AmEx. Same day, next day, labor day, whatever. Totally up to you. What matters is getting a better deal on the loan first.

In any case, I wish you the best. A new car and a new AmEx card -  awesome!

Last App: 12/25/2013
TU: 743 (Discover) Ex: 718 (CS) Goal: 760+ Across All
Gardening Until 6/25/14+

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}