Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for BCP

tag
leoment
Frequent Contributor

Applying for BCP

Quick question - I already have an Amex PRG that I got in June of this year, and I want to apply for the BCP either today or tomorrow (I want to use the card to pay my tuition bill for the spring).  Will I still qualify for the signup bonus of $150 if $1000 spent in the first 3 months?  I wasn't sure if that was for new Amex customers only.  FWIW I got the 25k points bonus with my PRG during the first 3 months as well.

As far as my stats for applying, my utility is a bit higher at 30%, but my FAKO scores are Creditkarma: 754, and Creditsesame: 765 .   I have no lates/delinquents, and the only card I've opened this year was that PRG (before that was last year sometime).  I think on Creditkarma it says I have 1 inquiry on my report.  Are my odds good?

Also, if anyone has a referral for a BCP, please PM me - I'd love to share the bonus if anyone wants it! (If this isn't allowed, I'll remove it from my post).

Thanks everyone!

800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: Applying for BCP

@leoment wrote:

Quick question - I already have an Amex PRG that I got in June of this year, and I want to apply for the BCP either today or tomorrow (I want to use the card to pay my tuition bill for the spring).  Will I still qualify for the signup bonus of $150 if $1000 spent in the first 3 months?  I wasn't sure if that was for new Amex customers only.  FWIW I got the 25k points bonus with my PRG during the first 3 months as well.

As far as my stats for applying, my utility is a bit higher at 30%, but my FAKO scores are Creditkarma: 754, and Creditsesame: 765 .   I have no lates/delinquents, and the only card I've opened this year was that PRG (before that was last year sometime).  I think on Creditkarma it says I have 1 inquiry on my report.  Are my odds good?

Also, if anyone has a referral for a BCP, please PM me - I'd love to share the bonus if anyone wants it! (If this isn't allowed, I'll remove it from my post).

Thanks everyone!

I think you have a great shot at applying Smiley Happy I would wait another billing cycle to get that utilization down to at or under 10% for better odds and higher CL, but otherwise your stats look good! And you'll still receive the bonus incentive; having another AMEX card won't disqualify you for a deal on another AMEX card, as long as it's not the same card, just with a different network (like people trying to get a Freedom Visa AND Mastercard), nor have you ever had the card before and received a similar offer in the past from it.

Best of luck!

Message 2 of 6
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

why not wait till Jan so you can get optimal backdating.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 3 of 6
leoment
Frequent Contributor

I initially thought about waiting until next month, but I have the cash on hand to pay my tuition bill, so I figured why not hit my spend bonus in one transaction?  Once I'm at school, my spending on the card will probably be lower until the summer when I can switch back to being full time at work.  Basically, I don't want to risk not hitting the 1K in 3 months on the card.  My tuition is due by the middle of this month, so I have to either apply now and definitely get the spend bonus, or wait and risk not hitting it.

800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 4 of 6
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

I got my PRG this past August and when I got the BCP last month, I called and asked about the 150 back if I spent 1000 in three months, and they said I wasn't eligible.  They didn't give me a reason, just said it was not part of my offer or my file or something like that.  I'd applied from the AmEx web site. The woman had never heard of the offer.  Then she put me on hold for a while, and when she came back she said I could re-apply for the BCP and I'd be eligible ( think that's what she said - she was hard to understand), but I didn't want to cancel and re-apply when it took me a while to get it.  I would call AmEx before you apply and make sure you'll be eligible.

Message 5 of 6
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@leoment wrote:

I initially thought about waiting until next month, but I have the cash on hand to pay my tuition bill, so I figured why not hit my spend bonus in one transaction?  Once I'm at school, my spending on the card will probably be lower until the summer when I can switch back to being full time at work.  Basically, I don't want to risk not hitting the 1K in 3 months on the card.  My tuition is due by the middle of this month, so I have to either apply now and definitely get the spend bonus, or wait and risk not hitting it.

Backdating is far more important than hitting your bonus. Maybe that is just me. You have 3 months to spend. I think if you put gas, lunch, dinner, you will be fine.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.