Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for CLI

tag
Jaybone2
Valued Member

Applying for CLI

Hi All

I am interested in applying for a CLI but only if it is a soft pull.

If I apply online, is the institution required to post a disclaimer saying that the will request a copy of my report?

I have gone through 2 0f 3 steps on their website without any mention of pulling my credit.

FYI  The institution in Webster Bank and it is serviced by Elan Financial, the account is 7 months old and currently has a $2k limit

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Applying for CLI

@Jaybone2 wrote:

Hi All

I am interested in applying for a CLI but only if it is a soft pull.

If I apply online, is the institution required to post a disclaimer saying that the will request a copy of my report?

I have gone through 2 0f 3 steps on their website without any mention of pulling my credit.

FYI  The institution in Webster Bank and it is serviced by Elan Financial, the account is 7 months old and currently has a $2k limit

No idea about that particular institution but no they are not required to tell you that.  You are giving them permission to pull your credit report by asking for a CLI.  Whether they will or not depends on their practices but unless you can get someone to reply that has had experience with them, I would assume it's a HP.  You could try calling the bank but there's no guarantee that their answer will be correct.

Message 2 of 8
Jaybone2
Valued Member

Thanks Irish,

I have seen some card services state that they would be pulling my reports so I thought that maybe it was a requirement.

If anyone has applied for a CLI with Elan and/or Webster, I would love to hear about it

Thanks

Message 3 of 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

If you apply for the CLI you're authorizing a pull, be it soft or hard. I would echo either waiting for someone to chime in with experience or just ask (although yeah the reps may be misinformed).

Even someone with experience is not going to be infallible, since some companies do a SP or HP depending on your profile.

If you really want the CLI, just apply for it. One inquiry especially not being a new account is not going to harm you much unless you have a lot of upcoming apps planned or something.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jaybone2,

Is it Webster Bank  headquartered in Waterbury, CT? It will be a hardpull...

Message 5 of 8
Jaybone2
Valued Member

Yes it is. Thank you.
Message 6 of 8
SquidBilly
New Contributor

If it's administered by Elan Financial and you request a CLI, it will definitely be a hard pull.
Message 7 of 8
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Disclaimer: I don't have any Elan card.

However, Elan is run by US Bank, if I'm not mistaken.

US Bank's CLI websites do not carry any warning that a credit report will be pulled.

Still, they offer SP CLI when the requested amount is not too high; e.g. $1.5-2k in my experience. Higher requests have anecdotally attracted HPs. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.