cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for Capital One after a paid charge-off, do they blacklist?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applying for Capital One after a paid charge-off, do they blacklist?

I had a Capital One card charge off about 18 months ago, which I have since paid in full about 12 months ago. How forgiving are they in these situations? I used the pre-screener and had an offer. I tried this two months ago and got no offers. My scores are up 30-40 points since then. TU 651, EQ 666, EX 669 less than two weeks ago. Any advice?
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Applying for Capital One after a paid charge-off, do they blacklist?

congrats!

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
score_building
Senior Contributor

cap 1 gives second chances but not sure how soon after co.  i would check the boa preselector before apping cap1.  also you may perhaps want to consider a cu card.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told 30 days after charge off is payed by someone at cap1.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I already have a BOA secured. I got antsy and did the Cap One online application and was approved.
Message 4 of 8
score_building
Senior Contributor

congrats!

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 must really hate me.  I cannot get the love or respect anyone on this board gets. I had a charge off and via an offer with a 3rd party collection agency paid off the debt and was issued a new Cap1 card for $200 or $300 in 2004. I have received 1 cli during this timeframe to $500.  Called in more times than I can count and been told my card is not eligible for customer initiated CLIs even to the astonishment of the Sr Analysts who look at my account. My pay history is perfect.

Based on the info I read hear PLUS what an analyst told me, I applied for another Cap1 card so that I could get rid of the old one by combining. I was declined. Received a letter from Cap1 that they did not pull a report, however based their decision on their internal records. I had too many past due Cap1 obligations.  One was from over 15 yrs ago that was paid off (not a charge off and I didnt even remember having the card). The second is the paid charge off (not settled for less) for which I was issued a new card ... that has perfect pay history for 4 yrs.

Cap1 is the bane of my existence. So you will probably be able to get a card cuz I have the opposite luck of everyone else Smiley Mad

Message 6 of 8
score_building
Senior Contributor

that's a rough trade.  reportedly they forgive only once but ymmv.  perhaps you'll get an overide on a recon- 
Message 7 of 8
MsKmm00
Regular Contributor

@score_building wrote:
that's a rough trade.  reportedly they forgive only once but ymmv.  perhaps you'll get an overide on a recon- 

Oh yeah - that was the kicker.  You cant reconn with Cap1 over the phone if you are denied. Must be done in writing. Happened earlier this year so I said forget it and decided to set my sights on better cards. Got my first which is BofA AMEX. Just got a WaMu which isnt necessarily a great CCC, but they gave me my highest limit. If Cap1 one doesnt want my business it's ok by me. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.