cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for Chase Card - In Branch or Online?

tag
hunter399
New Contributor

Applying for Chase Card - In Branch or Online?

I bank with Chase, nothing crazy on the banking side - but I'm going to apply for a United Miles card soon. Does it make sense to do it with a banker thru a branch? Or online? I have a great local branch - I actually still say hi to the gentleman who opened my account every time I'm in the branch. 

Normally I wouldn't bother with asking, but my util is a tad high right now due to a very expensive move, and I want a leg up on the application. No other issues on credit profile, several paid auto loans, pull right around 700 mark, but probably slightly under due to high util. I just make a $1k payment to one of my cards, and won't apply until that registers. 

I guess my question is - are apps coming in from branches looked at differently? Better? Or shouldn't I not bother and just do it from home? 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: Applying for Chase Card - In Branch or Online?

Reading post on here that when you are in branch they can tell if you are preapproved for a credit product. Have you tried find my offers on the Chase site? Also having a bank relationship increases chances and Chase is great with recons, but they like to see low UTI in my opinion

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 2 of 11
Open123
Super Contributor

For the UA Miles card, you can get a higher sign up bonus by applying online.  

For the Freedom, I was told that applying in branch makes you eligible for the 10% year end rebates on your points/cash back.

Message 3 of 11
BearOSO
Contributor

I applied online and still receive the 10% cash back bonus. You need an active checking account to be eligible. 

Message 4 of 11
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

One thing to look for at the branch is offers to apply for no AF for the 1st year.  Brochures are all over at the branch with this bene.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 5 of 11
thom02099
Valued Contributor

In the branch, they may be able to SP your report to see what you're qualfied for, without submitting an actual application.  Depending on the result, you could then go on line and apply, to get any bonuses that might not be available in the branch office.  My credit union can do this, don't see why Chase couldn't. 

Message 6 of 11
hunter399
New Contributor

SP = soft pull? 

Thats a thought. Thanks for all the info, guys! 

Message 7 of 11
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@hunter399 wrote:

SP = soft pull? 

Thats a thought. Thanks for all the info, guys! 

Yes....SP = Soft

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 8 of 11
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I think they sometimes get commissions for selling people on a credit card, so maybe they are motivated to help you if a recon is needed.  I seem to remember reading a thread about that, but no idea if it was related to Chase.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 11
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

For the UA Miles card, you can get a higher sign up bonus by applying online.  

For the Freedom, I was told that applying in branch makes you eligible for the 10% year end rebates on your points/cash back.

If you tell them you know the deal they'll give you the better deal Smiley Tongue

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.