cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for Chase Card - In Branch or Online?

tag
bribro
Valued Contributor

Re: Applying for Chase Card - In Branch or Online?

It doesn't make a difference from an underwriting perspective. As I understand it, when you apply at the Chase retail branches they use the same backend infrastructure - i.e. they are essentially filling out the same online application for you. However, the branch might have different online portals with varying reward structures, so make sure you are signing up for the best one whether it's online or at the branch.

The only time you will get different underwriting treatment when it comes to applying for Chase/JPM credit cards is if your relationship manager/private banker at JPM PB (HNW, UHNW and PCD), JPMS or CPC submits the application on your behalf. Additionally, if your credit card application is denied, Chase retail branch managers have the authority to request a review on your behalf if you have a sizable checking account balance or overall relationship (similar to a standard phone recon, but it holds more weight coming from a Chase retail branch manager).

When applying for a Freedom card when you already have a Chase checking account (to get the 10% bonus) the retail bankers double check to make sure your accounts are linked, but this is supposed to happen automatically when you apply online, and if it doesn't you can always call in or private message them.

OP, unless you're in a rush to get that United card, I would wait until your util comes down then apply.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.