Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for Chase Freedom with a Serious Delinquency 12 months ago

tag
thobbs
New Contributor

Applying for Chase Freedom with a Serious Delinquency 12 months ago

I am extremely interested in the Chase Freedom card.  Unfortunately, due to me cosigning a loan I was unaware that was 90 days late last year, it was reported on my EX credit report only.  This was shown as last late 5/10 and once I found out about it took action to remedy the situation.  However, on the app it makes you check a box about any serious delinqiencies.  My EQ score is 694 and TU score is 760 (FICO's), I don't know what my EX score is, but its the only one with the 90 day late notice.  My household income is over $170k a year, but I do not want to waste a hard pull if they will not even consider me because of that.  Anyone have any advice on whether or not they may decline or not?  My last CRA show's a 4% revolving account usage rate.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
unlucky_hove
Regular Contributor

Re: Applying for Chase Freedom with a Serious Delinquency 12 months ago

They only pulled EQ for me in NC, but once you open the account i guess its a possibility they could soft EX an TU........and you know what will happen next. I do know that if you tell them you have a major baddie you can forget it.  Might be best to forget about that card for about for the next 6.5 years lol......or live dangerously!!

Message 2 of 20
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Have you thought about calling their underwriting dept. before applying and asking them about yr situation and if it's worth applying. In my exp, underwriters won't give away too much, but you might be able to get an idea of what they'd do.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently applied for and was approved by Chase for a $15k line with a 729 EQ FICO for Sapphire Preferred (Visa Signature).   I had *one* account where I had 2 x 30 and 1 x 60 day lates in a 5 month period, the last late (60) about 8 months ago.  Other than that, no issues, about 10% util.  Was declined initially, spoke to underwriting and explained that I was a co-signer on this acocunt and I didn't know it was late...until it was too late.  I had significant income as well, which I was willing to verify via W2 (although they never took me up on my offer).  So, short answer I think you'd be ok, but it's always a crapshoot....

Message 4 of 20
thobbs
New Contributor

How do I contact their underwriting department? Would that be the "recon" number? Also, should I apply first then if denied call them?
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes, recon number - 888-245-0625. I would apply online tonight, and expect to see the 7-10 day message.  Call the number tomorrow afternoon, and tell them you were just checking on the status, and if it was like my call they will walk through the credit report with you.  

Message 6 of 20
thobbs
New Contributor

Thank you very much for the info!
Message 7 of 20
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

Let us know how it goes

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 20
thobbs
New Contributor

Will do.
Message 9 of 20
thobbs
New Contributor

So, since my only problem report was Experian, I decided to freeze it for the time being.  Ten minutes later, I apped for the Chase Freedom and got approved instantly within 5-10 seconds.  I don't know if they even tried pulling Experian, but hey, it worked!

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.