Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for Chase Freedom

tag
ssmith891
New Contributor

Applying for Chase Freedom

I applied for the CSP a little under a month ago and got instantly approved with a $5000 CL. I recently also opened a Chase checking account and now want to apply for the Freedom to take advantage of the 10 & 10 program and complete the Trifecta! Do you guys think I'll be able to get approved so soon? I don't have the ability to shuffle credit around with Chase since the minimum CL for the CSP is $5000 and its my first card with them. My score was a 750 when AMEX sent it to me with my BCE (with a $6200 CL) which was around January I think, and that was the last card I applied for. I also have a Zync with NPSL, a world points Visa through my previous bank with a $1000 CL (first card don't really want to close it), a Chevron gas card with a $300 CL, and a NTB card with a $700 CL. I just turned 21 a few months ago and have been building credit since I just turned 18 and have paid every single card off on time and in full. What do you guys think I should do? 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Re: Applying for Chase Freedom

Chase does not like multiple accounts in short time Id wait 6 months then apply.  

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 2 of 15
DesertLife
Regular Contributor

I received my CSP in July and just app'd and was approved on recon line for Chase Ink Bold yesterday. Nearly 4 months seemed to be ok in my situation. Your approx. 3 months might be ok too, but I think people suggesting you wait is a conservative (& likely experienced and informed) answer to help you protect your credit from inquiries that don't result in being issued a card. I just thought I would share my recent experience. I do not have Chase checking or other banking accounts with them.

Started out with a 648 EQ in 2018, finally got to 850 FS8 TU | 836 FSU EX in November 2021!
Message 3 of 15
distantarray
Established Contributor

i applied for both online, and had to call in for the freedom with 2 prior inquiries within a few days from navy and dcu. if your scores can sustain it should be fine. I was at 754before my first app.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 4 of 15
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

Go ahead and apply for the Freedom.  If you get a denial then call and recon.  I think you have a good chance of getting it.  Might be a low CL at first, but that's ok.

Message 5 of 15
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I heard a rumor that the 10/10 is going away, so you need to app now.

Good luck

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 6 of 15
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

I was approved for my freedom in Sep 11, and my CSP in April 12. I don't know if I could have been approved sooner or not, as I didn't apply prior to having the card 7 mos...it was an instant approval. YMMV though...if you can spare the inquiry, then go for it. Chase is very good about recons, so you could always negotiate if you are declined....

TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 7 of 15
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Good luck

Message 8 of 15
ssmith891
New Contributor

Do I have to apply in a branch for the 10/10? I've heard that its a separate type of application.
Message 9 of 15
toful
Established Member

@ssmith891 wrote:
Do I have to apply in a branch for the 10/10? I've heard that its a separate type of application.

I applied for my Freedom first, then when I found out about the 10/10 I got a checking account. I then sent a message to customer support and they said it would be upgraded to 10/10 within 1 or 2 billing cycles. That was all in September. I message them again a few days ago to confirm it's now 10/10, and they said it was.

So it looks like you can handle it all online Smiley Very Happy

Capital One Platinum $750 (3/11) | Macy's $2K (1/12)
Chase Freedom $4.5K (8/12) | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K (11/12) | Amex BCE $12K (10/12)

TU: 751 (10/1/12 - Amex), 747 (5/23/12 - Transunion.com) | EQ: 718 (10/1/12 - myFICO)
Gardening since: 11/12/12

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.