cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for Chase Mileage Plus Explorer. Approval Likelihood? Even worth Trying?

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Applying for Chase Mileage Plus Explorer. Approval Likelihood? Even worth Trying?

Grats
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 11 of 20
Nyru
Valued Member

Re: Applying for Chase Mileage Plus Explorer. Approval Likelihood? Even worth Trying?

Hi there. Congrats on the approval. Did you have to recon? Or was it instant?

Starting Score (2/15/13): EX (fako) 583// EQ FICO 634// TU FICO 658
Current Score (5/27/14): EX FICO 719// EQ FICO 742// TU FICO 729
Goal Scores: 740 on all.
CSP- 10K, United mileage explorer- 9k, Freedom- 5k, Barclays Arrival+ W.E.- 5k, Nordstrom- 6k, Chase Hyatt- 5k, Discover it- 5k, Slate- 4.5k, Amex Blue Cash- 1k.
Message 12 of 20
UpNComing
Established Contributor

Congrats!  Be good to Chase.  The CS in the credit card side is leaps and bounds better than the banking center side.  If you develop a good relationship they'll return the favor. Smiley Happy

CSP ($5k); Chase MileagePlus Explorer Visa Sig. ($6k); Chase Freedom Visa Sig. ($6k); BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa Sig. ($5k); Amex PRG (NPSL); Amex BCE ($1k); Citi Thank You ($5.4k); Barclay Apple ($4.2k) CapOne Cash ($2.5k) CapOne Platinum ($2.5k) Wells Fargo Home Project Visa ($10.3k) Discover IT ($1.5k) WalMart ($3k); Lowes ($3k); Amazon ($5k); Kohls($1.5k)

Scores: Equ Fico 715 ~ Exp 724 ~ TU Fico 682
Message 13 of 20
poolin1243

It was instant approval! 

Learning the Ropes.
Equi: 638
Exp: 662
Trans: 615
FICO: 633
Message 14 of 20
Rackham94
Established Contributor

congrats bro!!!

What is your aaoa? 

income

and how many accounts do you have (loans,ccs,mortgage)

Message 15 of 20
CashOnDelivery
Established Contributor

Congrats! That is the 1st time I've seen an approval for those scores. Chase must see something they really like in you.

2010: 475 EQ 2011: 503 EQ 2012: 600 EQ2013:632 EQ
Starting Score: 634 EQ-3/13/13
Current Score: 706 EQ-8/29/13 703 EX-7/12/13 705 TU-8/9/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 20
redshoes
Established Member

My scores are really similar to the OP's. Was with WaMu first, been with Chase since the changeover in checking. I make 90k/year and am Platinum on MileagePlus. No debt. Well, 14 bucks worth of debt to come it at 7% consistently on my Cap One secured. One collection account that I'm currently disputing. Got word that EQ had deleted it tonight, waiting on EX and TU. (The account had been improperly re-aged and the OC had no record of the DOFD. Yay for creditors' sloppiness and greed!).

This card would be super, super useful to me and United's been courting me pretty heavily via direct mail, though no preapprovals. Ultimate goal is a CSP, but I hear that you need a high CLI card before they'll even talk to you about CSP, even with the scores. Which makes your approval doubly attractive. I really have no desire to have a bunch of cards, nor do I desire more than about 15k in available credit. I live perfectly fine on cash and have no desire to carry a balance, but I would like to buy a house and I'd like a low interest rate. Basically, if I talk to recon and say that I want the card because I fly United more than any other airline and make anywhere from 5-10 trips to Europe a year (which makes the lack of foreign exchange fees palatable), plus my history with Chase, is it worth it?

I augured in about six years ago and swore off credit until I was positive I could be responsible. Before I started on this journey, my file had gotten so thin I couldn't even get a score out of MyFICO when I first signed up. Back in July, I figured I'd apply for Slate, just to see what happened. They declined and said the charge-off was a big bummer and noted that my score was only a 548 (EQ). (I didn't know about recon then; doubt it would've helped.) I've jumped a hundred points on EQ with that baddie lingering on my report, I expect to see it jump a few more in the next day or two when it's reflected in my alerts. So DTI is excellent, AAoA is 5.5 years (old car loan with a few 30 day lates that I paid off six years ago and the Cap One secured, which I've had for three billing cycles now), I've got legit reasons to want the card and I could easily see myself pumping about 40k/year through it (paid off every month, of course). And I'm assuming I'll have to go to recon.

What do the old hands think they'll say? Should I go ahead and try now or should I wait until I hit six months on the Cap One to apply? At that point, EX will have finished their investigation (prognosis is good, given that another poster had the exact same problem I did and got it removed from both EQ and EX. Chase pulled from EX and EQ last time I applied). And I've had this checking account for a decade now, the last 4 1/2 of which have been with Chase. I'm being pretty picky with applying for new credit. I will be purchasing a car within the next nine months; my goals for the coming year really are the MileagePlus Explorer and the car loan. Then perhaps next year, CSP and a house.

Message 17 of 20
toppers555
Established Contributor

@CashOnDelivery wrote:

Congrats! That is the 1st time I've seen an approval for those scores. Chase must see something they really like in you.

He could have high internal score from banking relationship, but I'll admit the fico is still low for common chase apporvals.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 18 of 20
redshoes
Established Member

UPDATE: Pulled my EX tonight. Score was a 657 (I'm guessing EQ is in the same neighborhood — was a 647 right before the baddie got deleted, TU just hit 666). Still have some paid derogs in the form of liens. Anyway, I figured I'd apply and see what happens. Immediately approved with a $2000 limit. Not as good as the OP's (he had a longer recent active credit history and two accounts with Chase; I've only got one), but at this point, I'll take it and see if I can't get a CLI after six months. To say that I'm amped to have this after so much time in the wilderness is an understatement.

Message 19 of 20
myjourney
Super Contributor

@poolin1243 wrote:

i decided to try...

APPROVED!!!!!

5000.00 CL

SO HAPPY.

Congrats this should come in handy with all the up coming flights 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.