tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Applying for Chase Sapphire Preferred and AMEX Blue Cash Preferred

Message 11 of 20
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I thought you wanted CSP? Congratulations either way!
Message 12 of 20
ard991
Valued Member

Freedom and BCP. 

Originally I did want the Sapphire but after what others were saying here and reading I thought I might hold off on the Sapphire for a few months, since it seems I'd need the Freedom anyway to take full advantage of the Sapphire and applying for three cards at the same time seemed pushing it, haha.  Also since apparently the Sapphire has a 5k minimum limit, and since the Freedom only approved for 3500, that might have been a good decision. 

I've gone from no credit cards with a score in the 660s (due to limited history) to four cards and a score in low 700s in 10 months Smiley Happy I'm pretty happy about that.

Oh yeah and I noticed on the Chase page it said something about if the limit wasn't enough that I could discuss it when I call to activate my card.  Anyone ever have luck with that?

Message 13 of 20
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

It would probably be a Hp. If nothing has changed since the approval, you might want to think about requesting a CLI
Message 14 of 20
ard991
Valued Member

Actually, while on the sort of "new credit high," decided to go ahead and apply for a CLI for my BoA card.  Requested 3000 and got instant approved!

Nearly tripled my total credit over the weekend, from 4000 to 11500 Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 20
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Great job! Smiley Happy Sounds like a little garden time is in order! Smiley Wink
Message 16 of 20
supervelous
Regular Contributor

Congrats!! Did you get the $250 sign on bonus offer with the BCP?
Message 17 of 20
red259
Super Contributor

@ard991 wrote:

Freedom and BCP. 

Originally I did want the Sapphire but after what others were saying here and reading I thought I might hold off on the Sapphire for a few months, since it seems I'd need the Freedom anyway to take full advantage of the Sapphire and applying for three cards at the same time seemed pushing it, haha.  Also since apparently the Sapphire has a 5k minimum limit, and since the Freedom only approved for 3500, that might have been a good decision. 

I've gone from no credit cards with a score in the 660s (due to limited history) to four cards and a score in low 700s in 10 months Smiley Happy I'm pretty happy about that.

Oh yeah and I noticed on the Chase page it said something about if the limit wasn't enough that I could discuss it when I call to activate my card.  Anyone ever have luck with that?

Yep, I think you made the right call there. Garden for awhile and let your accounts age and I think you are going to be in excellent shape. I'm building up points with my freedom so that I can shift them over when I get a CSP. The freedom is a nice little card and with additional benefits being added in november it will work even better. At this point I think you would not only want to try to get approved for a CSP, but to take the time and set yourself up to try to get approved with a great credit line and not just the 5k minimum. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 18 of 20
ard991
Valued Member

Thanks guys! I've been feeling pretty good about all the progress over the weekend. These new limits are gonna make a HUGE difference in utilization. It'll be nice not having to be constantly checking and paying balances multiple times a months.

Yup got the $250 bonus too! Yeah I thought I'd just build points for a while on the Freedom and when I get the CSP I'd move all the points over.

My thought is aside from doing the 3x CLI with the BCP in 61 days, not do anything more requiring credit for a while and garden Smiley Happy

Also I think BoA may not have done a hard pull. They didn't ask for a SSN (though since I bank with them it could be that it's just already on file). That'd be a nice bonus too.

Good point about waiting on the CSP as well so I get a nice large line when I do finally apply. How long you guys think would be good to wait? A year? Less? More?
Message 19 of 20
red259
Super Contributor

I would recommend a year given your low AAoAs. What you should do in the meantime is garden and request your SP Amex CLIs as they become available. That will help you get a card with over a 5k balance and will further help you with overall credit util. Maybe you will luck out and get some auto CLIs on freedom as well. You want to let your new accounts age as well as letting your inqs age. Furthermore, a well established history with your freedom card with Chase will really help you with the CSP application. I think doing these things for a year is going to set you up nicely. I wouldn't apply for anything for at least six months though. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.