Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for Second Credit Card as a Student

tag
Denali05

Re: Applying for Second Credit Card as a Student

@heyarrnold wrote:

@Denali05 wrote:

May I ask what the benefits are for American Express and Sallie Mae CCs over BoA, Chase CCs etc.?

Definitely get an Amex. I assume we are the same age Smiley Happy 21? Well, that is with my assumption that you're still an undergrad. 

However, I would get an Amex for backdating purposes and MR points. Their CS is also great! I would apply to their Everyday card. It's on my wish list for Jan of 2015 Smiley Tongue

Yup spot on, I am 21. Based upon everyone's suggestion, American Express definitely seems the most benefical route to take. I will go ahead and apply for the Amex Everyday card and hold off on the BoA card. The only reason I suggested BoA is because I've had an checking account with them for a long time, which made their card pretty appealing on the surface. 

Message 11 of 18
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@Denali05 wrote:

@heyarrnold wrote:

@Denali05 wrote:

May I ask what the benefits are for American Express and Sallie Mae CCs over BoA, Chase CCs etc.?

Definitely get an Amex. I assume we are the same age Smiley Happy 21? Well, that is with my assumption that you're still an undergrad. 

However, I would get an Amex for backdating purposes and MR points. Their CS is also great! I would apply to their Everyday card. It's on my wish list for Jan of 2015 Smiley Tongue

Yup spot on, I am 21. Based upon everyone's suggestion, American Express definitely seems the most benefical route to take. I will go ahead and apply for the Amex Everyday card and hold off on the BoA card. The only reason I suggested BoA is because I've had an checking account with them for a long time, which made their card pretty appealing on the surface. 

You will not regret it! Once you have your foot in with Amex, you're set! They offer a lot of great benefits that will help your credit file in many ways(3xcli works like a charm!)

Message 12 of 18
vygotsky
Contributor

IMO app the BoA BBR first and then the Amex Everyday second on the same day.

FICO 733 (Discover)
Message 13 of 18
Gornet
Frequent Contributor

I am 18 years old freshie in uni and i decided to go with amex x3 lol.... You can do itttt

PRG NPSL - Reserve 4.5k - Delta Gold 6.5k - Ritz 6.8k - CSP 5k
My Credit story
Message 14 of 18
CarnegieS
Regular Contributor

@Denali05 wrote:

@heyarrnold wrote:

@Denali05 wrote:

Go for both! I had a much shorter history than you and I am only 19 and was approved for an amex and a BaA card. I did amec one day, and the BoA the next. You have a long history and you didn't mention anything negative on your account so I think you have a pretty decent chance at getting approved! Amex first and then BoA. Good luck. 

Amex Delta Gold: $5400| BofA Better Balance: $1500 | Sallie Mae: $1300 | Discover It: $500
719 TU, 685 EQ, 728 Ex.
Entered the garden : 5/8/14
Message 15 of 18
hizzaah
Frequent Contributor

First post on the Forum!

As an undergrad I started with a Discover IT for my first car this past January ($500 limit). This month I applied for the Chase Freedom due to their sign up offer and was initially denied but a quick call to recon got me a $500 limit with them. Last night I was proved for $1000 for an Amex BCE card.

This will be it for me for a while. I also got a new car in Feb and have quite a few HP'S from shopping around. I'm just holding out for limit increases. July is my 6th month with Discover so I'm hoping for a SP increase. I'll do same with Freedom, and then try for the 3x CLI on the Amex after 91 days (mid September).

Good luck! Let's us know how it goes!
QuickSilver - $20,000 | Amex ED $12,000 | Commence $5,000 | IT $2,200 | Freedom $2,000
Message 16 of 18
elegia
New Contributor

I second the Amex! I was in a similar situation when I applied for my Amex BCP last fall - only one item on my credit file, which was a Citi Forward card I'd opened as a student in 2011. I hadn't been diligent about balances and util and such, but I had paid in full each month with no late payments or anything. I took advantage of the $250 signup bonus on the Amex and was instantly approved online. In addition to the card's reward program and benefits, I was glad to be able to start building a relationship with Amex.

Also, I know that Amex and Discover are accepted more and more places each year now, but it might be a good idea to get a Visa as well just in case. I generally use my Amex for any purchases that don't fall under any of my rewards categories since their reward dollars system is pretty user-friendly, but every now and then I have to whip out my Citi Visa at places that only take Visa/MC.

Message 17 of 18
Denali05

@elegia wrote:

I second the Amex! I was in a similar situation when I applied for my Amex BCP last fall - only one item on my credit file, which was a Citi Forward card I'd opened as a student in 2011. I hadn't been diligent about balances and util and such, but I had paid in full each month with no late payments or anything. I took advantage of the $250 signup bonus on the Amex and was instantly approved online. In addition to the card's reward program and benefits, I was glad to be able to start building a relationship with Amex.

Also, I know that Amex and Discover are accepted more and more places each year now, but it might be a good idea to get a Visa as well just in case. I generally use my Amex for any purchases that don't fall under any of my rewards categories since their reward dollars system is pretty user-friendly, but every now and then I have to whip out my Citi Visa at places that only take Visa/MC.

Thank you everyone for your suggestion. I applied for the Amex Everyday card today and was approved with a $10,000 limit which was a nice suprise.At the moment, I think I will hold off on applying for another card for a while although I do understand your concern about merchants rejecting Amex and Discover. However, the amount of times that I've encountered a merchant that doesn't take either card doesn't justify the hard inquiry, not to mention that the additonal credit isn't too useful to me at the moment. 

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.