Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature over phone | Updated with #

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Applying for US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature over phone | Updated with #

They just don't want too many people to be applying for it because they want to limit their exposure to credit cards.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 11 of 38
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Applying for US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature over phone

@fittiger wrote:

@Peteyglad wrote:

No go for me, just tried calling the number posted and was told I had to apply in person at a branch office. May try again later.

Thats the most absurd thing I've ever heard.  Why would they not allow online or phone apps?  I live in a state that does not have any US Bank branches.

I was thinking the same thing, sounds like they are missing out on alot of potential cardholders.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 12 of 38
enharu
Super Contributor

Wells Fargo is also doing a similar thing. You have to be a current customer with them to apply online, else you need to apply in a branch
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 13 of 38
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

Tried one more time yesterday to register over the phone with no luck. Since the nearest branch office to me is roughly 150 miles away I am going to be taking this card off my list.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 14 of 38
fittiger
Frequent Contributor

@enharu wrote:
They just don't want too many people to be applying for it because they want to limit their exposure to credit cards.

This doesn't quite make sense either.  The Cash+ is the only credit card product that requires applying at a branch.  The rest allow for me to apply online.

Message 15 of 38
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@fittiger wrote:

@enharu wrote:

This doesn't quite make sense either.  The Cash+ is the only credit card product that requires applying at a branch.  The rest allow for me to apply online.

It was their most abused product, probably by people who applied online.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 16 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@fittiger wrote:

@enharu wrote:

It was their most abused product, probably by people who applied online.

That's probably true, although the "abuse" was different than for most other cards.   Most abuse is doing manufactured spend (buying basically cash equivalents, whether coins from the mint in the past, Vanilla Reloads today) in quantities far exceeding what you would normally spend (because you get the money back straight away).  Cash Plus abuse mainly came because people were able to pay big bills under the Bill Pay category.  These were real spend, stuff people would have spent anyway but now get 5% back.  (And to a smaller extent giftcards from Home Improvement and 5% of airfare).

Just much more than US Bank expected!

Now they have got rid of these bad categories, not sure why they need to restrict it to in region.

Message 17 of 38
enharu
Super Contributor

They probably are kinda doing a "test run" experimenting with different categories from being implemented and some taken away for now. Until they can come up with something that is profitable for the bank and beneficial for the users, it will probably stay this way.

Everyone knows how badly abused this card was Smiley Tongue
Message 18 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@enharu wrote:
They probably are kinda doing a "test run" experimenting with different categories from being implemented and some taken away for now. Until they can come up with something that is profitable for the bank and beneficial for the users, it will probably stay this way.

Everyone knows how badly abused this card was Smiley Tongue

Actually, I don't know how badly abused it was!  But, unlike the manufactured spend stuff, where there were opportunities on many different cards, I guess anyone with a big regular bill to pay in the allowed areas would gravitate to this card.  (My providers didn't allow this, so I just got $250 in 6 months, practically nonuse for some!)

Message 19 of 38
enharu
Super Contributor

Some people literally prepaid 1 whole year of rent, insurance, cable, phone and whatever bills they could include. That's probably as extreme as, if not more than those buying vanilla reloads on a daily basis. Seeing how creditors get 1-2% in fees and they are giving people 5% back (you could actually make the cashback rate even higher with other tricks such as bonus 25 per 100, etc), it probably incurred a huge loss for the bank, especially if you are using the card only for the 5% category
Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.