Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for a Credit Card after a DMP

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Applying for a Credit Card after a DMP

@ockizard wrote:

Ok, just pulled them and a few accounts have "mcc" (managed by credit counseling) next to them.  How would I go about getting rid of those other than waiting?  If just a few and not all of the cards that were enrolled in the DMP.

I have 0 negative items on any of my reports....and it's probably been at least 5-6 years since I have had a last payment on anything.  I only pulled 2 of my 3 scores because I didn't want to enroll in one of those monitoring schemes that I really don't have the use for (given my credit is always frozen).

My Equifax score is 767 and my TransUnion score is a 749.

Should I wait 90 days and check again in hopes that the "mcc" will be removed from my report?

Thanks for all the help, and sorry for posting in two forums!

I tend to be a lets move this a long type a person and I would dispute to "update current account status" or what not but maybe the other poster that went through a DMP can give best action plan here... I just hate to wait 90 days but wow, fantastic scores once you get those things removed...

Message 11 of 18
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

@ockizard wrote:

Ok, just pulled them and a few accounts have "mcc" (managed by credit counseling) next to them.  How would I go about getting rid of those other than waiting?  If just a few and not all of the cards that were enrolled in the DMP.

I have 0 negative items on any of my reports....and it's probably been at least 5-6 years since I have had a last payment on anything.  I only pulled 2 of my 3 scores because I didn't want to enroll in one of those monitoring schemes that I really don't have the use for (given my credit is always frozen).

Should I wait 90 days and check again in hopes that the "mcc" will be removed from my report?

Yes, just wait. Don't bother disputing unless they're still there after 90 days. In that case, call your creditors and ask to speak to a credit analyst. 

Message 12 of 18
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@ockizard wrote:

I tend to be a lets move this a long type a person and I would dispute to "update current account status" or what not but maybe the other poster that went through a DMP can give best action plan here... I just hate to wait 90 days but wow, fantastic scores once you get those things removed...

You could dispute it, but the creditor will just confirm the account is being reported correctly. That's what happened when I tried. The ignorance you will encounter from CSRs on this is staggering. The notation will drop off automatically. 

Message 13 of 18
ockizard

I'll plan on applying in a month when the last few remaining accounts (that were just paid off) are listed as closed.  I'm fairly certain the credit union will cut me some slack since I have had 2 auto loans from them (1 current).

When applying, what is the rule of thumb....apply for a large credit limit and they'll approve you for the most they feel comfortable?  Or apply for a smaller credit limit to increase the chances of getting approved?  I wasn't sure if you would get declined altogether if you applied for a higher CL or if they will approve you at just a lower figure.

Thanks again for all the help!

Message 14 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@ockizard wrote:

I'll plan on applying in a month when the last few remaining accounts (that were just paid off) are listed as closed.  I'm fairly certain the credit union will cut me some slack since I have had 2 auto loans from them (1 current).

When applying, what is the rule of thumb....apply for a large credit limit and they'll approve you for the most they feel comfortable?  Or apply for a smaller credit limit to increase the chances of getting approved?  I wasn't sure if you would get declined altogether if you applied for a higher CL or if they will approve you at just a lower figure.

Thanks again for all the help!

very few places (maybe your CU) can you ask for how much you want when applying for a credit card and if it is your CU I always apply for max and they will counter.

Message 15 of 18
Lynnst
Valued Member

Congratulations on sucessfully completing the program!  I was in your exact shoes almost 2 years ago.  The DMP notation was removed from all but one account within 60-90 days.  After 90 days I disputed the only one left and it was removed.  I applied for an AmEx BCE within a month after the final DMP payment and was denied.  I waited a couple months to apply for any other cards. Since then I have been approved for each of the cards for which I applied.  I didn't ask for any specific limits - but I was pleased with the limits I was offered.    

Message 16 of 18
sjt
Senior Contributor

@ockizard wrote:

Congrats on completing your DMP! You should be very proud of yourself!

From my understanding, with a DMP through a CCS most, if not all, your creditors will positivily re-age your accounts. This can take up to 90 days to update on your report.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 17 of 18
ockizard

Excellent!  Thanks for the response.  My DMP was in fact through a CCS so I'll hold off for 90 days and check the report again.  Still undecided as to when I should apply for my card though as I'd like to get it before 90 days, but if the interest rate will be significantly lower I might hold off.

Thanks again!

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.