Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for a card while disputing?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applying for a card while disputing?

Hey all -- I want to do a mini app spree, looking to get: Chase Freedom, Citi card, NFCU, VentureOne by CapOne and the QuickSilver. My scores recently hit 660-670 mark, no collections left and last baddie was a year ago (30 day late student loan).

I am disputing one CO account by First Premier however (the devil). They are a truly horrid company and I think their predatory lending needs to be shut down by the government (but that's a different thread). Question is, will credit card companies approve if you are disputing one item? I know for mortgages and other loans usually you can't be disputing anything, but I don't know how it works with credit cards. I know when Barclay approved my Apple visa I had a few disputes and they approved on Recon. . Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Applying for a card while disputing?

I have been disputing since January and since than I opened up 8 accounts with no problems I was even approved for a auto loan even though I was undergoing disputes. Only time dispute status are a probe when applying for credit is mortgage application
Message 2 of 9
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I have a disputed collection on EX and EQ and none of my lenders have problems with it.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey all -- I want to do a mini app spree, looking to get: Chase Freedom, Citi card, NFCU, VentureOne by CapOne and the QuickSilver. My scores recently hit 660-670 mark, no collections left and last baddie was a year ago (30 day late student loan).

I am disputing one CO account by First Premier however (the devil). They are a truly horrid company and I think their predatory lending needs to be shut down by the government (but that's a different thread). Question is, will credit card companies approve if you are disputing one item? I know for mortgages and other loans usually you can't be disputing anything, but I don't know how it works with credit cards. I know when Barclay approved my Apple visa I had a few disputes and they approved on Recon. . Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

If you have the spend to support it and travel, you could combine inquiries with Chase bank. Since chase can potentially double pull, you could grab a hotel or airline card with a bonus after Freedom approval.  Which citi card are you wanting and what preapprovals show for citi? Do you see preapprovals with capital one and chase?

You are looking at up to 8 inquiries here as citi and chase double pull. Not sure about nfcu though.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

When I got my BOA Visa earlier this year i had a dispute on file and they asked what it was about, I explained and then was approved right then on the phone.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys!  I am looking to get the Citi Thank You or Simplicity, and CHASE FREEDOM and Slate, but scores may be too low now.  Waiting for UTIL to update to about 35% overall end of month!  I'm glad to know that they dont really care about disputed collections, especially that one medical bugger.  I hope that FP CO wont kill me though, its 6.5 years old and unpaid because they overcharged my account and they will not work with me at all, and 'i refuse to pay it - aging off in March 16 anyway. 

My score has been climbing rapidly with UTIL paydowns and I got a old CapOne collection deleted after paying, which was a shocker.  I want to maximize approvals so Im waiting for all UTIL to update soon, then app spree.  

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

ALSO Want to get:  AMEX Everyday, BofA BankAmericard Cash Back, Discover IT, PayPal Mastercard, and possibly another travel reward card.  Any tips?  And how do those fare with scores 650-670 range?

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lastly - notrhing comes up on any pre qual sites yet as my scores have just recent went BOOM from 582 this month.  So nothing yet there...except BofA and Discover which im told are not accurate

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rompplotta In January my scores were high 500s when I was approved for the BOA Cash Rewards it was the secured card and deposited $4K. In August when a few baddies were removed from my credit report my scores went up and ranged from 662-695. Discover it denied me immediately PayPal approved me for there master card with medium Apr at 23% $1000 CL. As for Amex I heard they 're inquiry sensitive and I never bothered to apply. Also keep in mind for PayPal you can never know which card you will get approved for there is both MasterCard and connect. And once your approved they immediately report the new account
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.