cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for a credit card, got 2 hard inquiry on the same day and the same CRA. Is it normal?

tag
thecentury303
New Contributor

Re: Applying for a credit card, got 2 hard inquiry on the same day and the same CRA. Is it normal?

This is what I got from Discover.

We have reviewed your inquiry and found that based on our records, the information being reported to the Credit Bureau is accurate. If you disagree and feel additional investigation is necessary, please contact us at the address below:

Discover Financial Services
Credit Bureau Disputes
PO Box 15316
Wilmington, DE 19850-5316

Should I write them?

Capital One Cash Rewards for New Comer: $1,500 (09/12), Local Credit Union: $1,500 (10/12), Chase Freedom: $1,500 (04/13), Discover IT: $2,100 (04/13), AMEX Gold Charge Card: NPSL (06/13), AMEX BCE: $6,000 (06/13), Chase United Explorer: $6,000 (10/13), Chase Ink Cash: $3,000 (10/13), Barclays Arrival Platinum: $3,000 (10/13), US Bank Flexperk Travel Rewards: $5,000 (01/14), Capital One Venture: $5,000 (01/14), Citi AA World MC: $6,500 (01/14),Citi AA Executive World Elite MC: $5,000 (01/14)
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Applying for a credit card, got 2 hard inquiry on the same day and the same CRA. Is it normal?

I'm bumping this. 

I am noticing this happened to me. I have a pull on EQ and EX. UGHHHH. I didn't recon. I didn't ask for a limit. 

Message 12 of 16
AgentofGaming
New Contributor

They pulled my EQ and EX as well. Their reasoning was that my credit history was too new and they needed files from two bureaus to have enough info to make the decision.

Next:
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pulling one from different bureaus is actually normal and extremely common. Cap1 pulls all three for new accounts from what I hear. I think OP got two on the same report which is definitely not something I've ever heard of unless there was a recon asked for. 

Edit to explain the comment was supposed to be in reply to person two up, but for some reason I can't reply directly to someone

Message 14 of 16
newhis
Valued Contributor

@thecentury303 wrote:

Hi guys,

This happened quite a long time ago but it still bugs me so I think I should ask you guys.

Several months ago, I applied for a Discover IT. Eventually, they denied me, which is OK. 

However, when I saw my credit report, I found two hard inquiries. One from "DISCOVER FINANCIAL SVCS" and one from "DISCOVER FINANCIAL SERVC". on the same day on my Transunion credit report.

Is this normal? Is it possible for me to ask Discover to remove one of them?

Many thanks!

According to CK my DW got 2 HP from Discover the day she applied for the Discover IT student edition.

One from DISCOVER FINANCIAL SERVC, the other from DISCOVER FIN SERVICES (this from an old report), sometime in August, CK reported that 2 HP were removed and 2 HP added, and now in her report both HP show as DISCOVER BANK.

It will be great if they can remove one.

The apartment office pulled her EQ 3 times in 2 weeks. They said they had a hard time pulling her information (too new SSN almost empty credit history) and there is nothing they can do.

Message 15 of 16
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

This happened to me when my secured Citi card's attached CD expired which triggered a review to be unsecured. My credit files had a very large but paid IRS lien. They pulled twice from the same CRA. My guess is that the first pull triggered another review because of the PR and so it got kicked up the ladder for a higher level call. They did unsecure me and kept the high CL (25k) so the inqs didn't bother me.  I was more worried about whether they would drop the CL given the short, thin file with baddies I had.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.