Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for a store card with a BK

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applying for a store card with a BK

I have been looking to get a tv with the special financing this holiday.   I was looking at BestBuy(HSBC), Sears(Citibank), Amazon(GEMB I think), and Walmart(GE too ??).   I had BestBuy in my BK in 2005 but have gotton an HSBC Mastercard this year.   I'd prefer to get the BB but which store card do you think I have the best chance with?

EQ: 684   EX: 691  TU: 685

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Applying for a store card with a BK

i would try for amazon. walmart often has low limits, sears doesnt like BK, hsbc gave you MC becuase you dont qualify for store earlier this year so if approved likely low limit but i guess you never know
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not likely to get a Best Buy card if you BK'd them in 2005.  What about Circuit City?
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The HSBC card I got was not a BestBuy MC it was a regular HSBC MC (7K line).  I haven't tried for a BB yet but I'm hesitant if BB will carry a grudge that HSBC didn't.   I was thinking that a GEMB based card might be a easier try.   Also Fry's Electronics uses First Electronic Bank(never heard of them, anyone else?).   As for Circuit City they are closing down in AZ.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well if you got a 7k HSBC card then i dont see how you would have any problems getting a BB store card unless something has changed(UT,late)
Message 5 of 9
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

I'm pretty sure that Best Buy is issued by HSBC.  How long have you had your HSBC MC.  I know that HSBC can be fickle about opening multiple accounts if your history is short with them.  I have two accounts with HSBC.  In April, I tried to add in a third account that I was pre-approved for.  When I applied, I was declined, saying that I was at my current max level of accounts.  I called and the CSR told me that since one of my accounts was under a year old, that I couldn't open any more till it reached it's anniversary (it was 11 months lol).  The other account was over two years, both were PIF every month and I have checking, savings, CDs, and IRA there.  I would call the BB credit number and ask if having a new account with HSBC is going to limit your ability before applying.  If they say no and your history with HSBC is good, give it a shot.

Current:
TU (5/14/14): 796 (Inquiries; 8/23/13)
EQ (3/23/14): 791 (Inquiries: 8/23/13)
EX (9/24/13): 780 (Inquiries: 7/2/12; 11/20/12; 7/30/13; 8/23/13)

Goals: No new inquiries for 2014, 800 for all CRs by 12/31/14
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
The HSBC card I got was not a BestBuy MC it was a regular HSBC MC (7K line).  I haven't tried for a BB yet but I'm hesitant if BB will carry a grudge that HSBC didn't.   I was thinking that a GEMB based card might be a easier try.   Also Fry's Electronics uses First Electronic Bank(never heard of them, anyone else?).   As for Circuit City they are closing down in AZ.

Are you saying ALL Circuit City stores inn AZ are closing or your local store?

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had my HSBC MC since March 08.  Only have about a $400 balance on the 7K line.

All Phoenix and surrounding area stores in AZ are closing down.  Only the few in Tucson, AZ area are staying open.   Part of Circuit City's cost reduction and BK filing.

Message Edited by flyers on 11-30-2008 02:16 PM
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does Target compare to Walmart for limits and being ok with BK?
Message Edited by flyers on 12-01-2008 10:03 PM
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.