Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for credit cards after house closing

tag
simyengi
New Contributor

Applying for credit cards after house closing

My wife and I are closing on our house in the next few days. We will need furniture and appliances. My mortgage lender pulled the following scores prior to closing on the house:

TV 663
EX 636
EQ 636 (Myfico has it as 658)

I would like to apply for a Home Depot, Lowe's or Conn's card for appliances and a Havertys card for furniture. I had several inquiries on my credit report made by the the lender as they were trying to get score to a certain level for financing.

What should I apply for first?

I have a FNB Omaha card with $2400 limit. I recently learned I'm eligible for CLI to $4400. I could use this for some of the furniture.

I have three small secured cards that don't have high limits to make much of an impact.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

Re: Applying for credit cards after house closing

@simyengi wrote:
My wife and I are closing on our house in the next few days. We will need furniture and appliances. My mortgage lender pulled the following scores prior to closing on the house:

TV 663
EX 636
EQ 636 (Myfico has it as 658)

I would like to apply for a Home Depot, Lowe's or Conn's card for appliances and a Havertys card for furniture. I had several inquiries on my credit report made by the the lender as they were trying to get score to a certain level for financing.

What should I apply for first?

I have a FNB Omaha card with $2400 limit. I recently learned I'm eligible for CLI to $4400. I could use this for some of the furniture.

I have three small secured cards that don't have high limits to make much of an impact.

Unless you have unbelievable income, my suggestion is to buy appliances (if you don't have any and the house you're buying doesn't have any), but use your current furniture until you save up for it.  

If you're like most people, your mortgage will be more than your current rent.  If you've already turned in your notice on your current place, then you have no rent or mortgage due August or September.  Use 1/2 of your budgeted rent or house payment for August for furniture puting the remaining 1/2 in savings and do the same thing in September. 

You just completed a major purchase.  Put this new bill in to the test of reality for three months, before you add additional debt.  I'm not saying don't apply for the cards. I'm simply saying do not use them until you're sure of your new budget.  If you don't have appliances, you'll need them, but you generally won't need brand new furniture.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
simyengi
New Contributor

This is good advice. As for major appliances, we need a washer/dryer and refrigerator. We sold the sofa, love seat before we sold our last house.

Message 3 of 5
js0319
Established Contributor

+1. The last thing you want is to be house broke and finding yourself if compromising situations with your credit soon after the purchase of a home. Take it from someone that's been there.

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 4 of 5
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@simyengi wrote:
This is good advice. As for major appliances, we need a washer/dryer and refrigerator. We sold the sofa, love seat before we sold our last house.

The advice above still works.  You'll have to find inexpensive sofa and love seat since you have nothing in the mean time, but you can still do it with 1/2 of the funds that would be going to rent/mortgage during the first two months.  Again, only charge the appliances that are absolutely necessities.  The rest of the stuff doesn't have to be there the day you move in.

Since you had a previous home, you understand the little things that will come up that you hadn't anticipated.  That's why you need to have that 1 month of mortgage banked away. You'll borrow small amounts from it and replace it on your next check, but it will keep you feeling comfortable and on the right track.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.