gstev41

Applying for first credit card- Suggestions appreciated

[ Edited ]

Hello All,

I'm 23 years old and have decided to begin applying for my first credit card.  Last month I applied for a Citi Forward card but I was denied because having loans with large balances and limited credit history.  I started doing some research and it seems that my only option for now would be an Orchard Bank card or a secured card.  Do I have any other options at this point?  Are there other cards that I may qualify for?  Here is my credit history....

My credit score is 704.

I have 2 student loans totaling $14,336 and I have always paid on time.  My oldest account is 2.9 years.

Annual Income $42,000 

Thank you in advance for your help.

Valued Contributor
RockinRay

Re: Applying for first credit card- Suggestions appreciated

What is your annual income?

You might consider an Amex Zync with that score.

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **

gstev41

I have edited my post with my annual income.  Thank you for pointing that out.

Senior Contributor
Wolf3

Try Captial One pre approval.    Even if they only offer the secured card, I consider it.   

Orchard is for sale, so I would pass on them for now.  

Valued Contributor
RockinRay

I think if I were in your situation, I might try for the Zync. I have read here that it is fairly easy to get and if you did get approved, you would be in with a great company that would grow with you.

I'll let others chime in here, but I would give the Zync a try.

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **

gstev41

I tried Capital One pre approval and I received the "we couldn't match your records to a card offer, But based on your answers, we think you might like this card" response.  I'd hate to have to apply for a few cards until I'm approved.  I've already been declined for a Citi Forward card and I want to try to avoid too many more hard inquiries.

Eric804

With that score and income, I would say you have a very good shot at Capital One.  I have seen approvals for worse.

My Fico.com Scores - Equifax (658) Transunion (645) - (07/11)
Senior Contributor
Wolf3

I wouldn't worry so much about inquiries right now,  you need to get your first CC and let it age for a year or so.

I would give the Cap1 app a try.

gstev41

Is there any Capital One card I should focus on in particular?  Sorry for all the questions.  I'm new to the credit card thing and I don't want to put myself in a bad situation.  Thanks again!

Established Contributor
TannerK

With AMex youll need atleast 1 account on your reports for a year is what I was told when I applied for a zync a year ago without any prior history.

RockinRay wrote:

I think if I were in your situation, I might try for the Zync. I have read here that it is fairly easy to get and if you did get approved, you would be in with a great company that would grow with you.

I'll let others chime in here, but I would give the Zync a try.

Ray

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+