Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for multiple CCs at once?

tag
afterglow99
New Visitor

Applying for multiple CCs at once?

Hi everyone - I'm looking for some advice. I have a very new credit profile, with zero lines of credit up until April 2013. I opened up a secured mastercard in April 2013 just to get the ball rolling and establish some credit. Took out a Discover IT in Nov 2013 and just got approved for an AMEX Blue Sky this week.

I want to take out another card (Visa or MC) that has good miles or cashback since AMEX and Disc aren't accepted everywhere.  I avoid using the secured card much since there's really no perks associated with it and the CL is extremely low.

Is it better to take all the hard inquiries at once, or spread them out over a year? Not looking for a car loan or mortgage in the next year, but possibly will be in late 2015.

FICO 720.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

Re: Applying for multiple CCs at once?

Usually if you apply within a certain period then all your inquiries age at the same time. If I was in your place, I would apply for 1-2 more cards max now and let your trade lines age. You don't need a bunch of cards to get a high score.

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.