cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for multiple cards at once!?! Good? Bad?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applying for multiple cards at once!?! Good? Bad?

Hello Fico'ers! I have read and been told that applying for multiple credit cards in a short time (week or less) will count as only one inquiry on your credit report. For some reason this smells a little fishy and thought I would put it out there. My eq : 723, TU 680, Ex: 677 and I would like a discover, amex, or chase but have been nervous to apply. Thanks for the help as always!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Applying for multiple cards at once!?! Good? Bad?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello Fico'ers! I have read and been told that applying for multiple credit cards in a short time (week or less) will count as only one inquiry on your credit report. For some reason this smells a little fishy and thought I would put it out there. My eq : 723, TU 680, Ex: 677 and I would like a discover, amex, or chase but have been nervous to apply. Thanks for the help as always!

false.  this is only true for auto inquiries & possibly mortgage inquiries, not sure on that one.

Message 2 of 12
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

I don't think that's the case. It applies to loans only.

Message 3 of 12
-RED
Regular Contributor

Yes, within a 14 day period...

However it might be held against you by credit card companies underwriting guidelines!

-800 or Bust...!
Message 4 of 12
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@-RED wrote:

However it might be held against you by credit card companies underwriting guidelines!

"Fortunately, the credit scoring system most lenders use, FICO, doesnt punish you if you do your mortgage shopping in a relatively condensed period of time. All credit inquiries made within 14 days are lumped together as one, and your score doesnt reflect any inquiries made within the last 30 days."

7 secrets to refinancing on the fast track

I'm not sure if that's for credit cards too.

But if so, which major CCCs will hold you against it?

Message 5 of 12
-RED
Regular Contributor

Like I said within 14 days...

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

@-RED wrote:

"Fortunately, the credit scoring system most lenders use, FICO, doesnt punish you if you do your mortgage shopping in a relatively condensed period of time. All credit inquiries made within 14 days are lumped together as one, and your score doesnt reflect any inquiries made within the last 30 days."

7 secrets to refinancing on the fast track

I'm not sure if that's for credit cards too.

But if so, which major CCCs will hold you against it?

-800 or Bust...!
Message 6 of 12
tobey
Contributor

The 14 day rule does NOT apply to credit card inquiries: http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/creditinquiries.aspx

Starting Score: 737
Current Score: 777
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 12
Shane1
New Contributor

Each will count individually. If you apply all at once, the lenders should not see any of the others when they're pulling, although they may not like all the new inquiries/accounts if they do a review later.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help! With those fico scores do you think i will be elgible for any  of those cards?

Message 9 of 12
tobey
Contributor

How clean is your report? I was just able to get my hands on an Amex Zync with my 737 and 6 months of credit history.

Starting Score: 737
Current Score: 777
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.