Applying for unsecured card

Hey all,

I have a question regarding unsecured cards. I have a secured cap one credit card due to a lack of revolving credit history. I have had this for about 6mos with no balance on the card. I am trying to figure out when would be the best time for me to apply for an unsecured credit card.

I have an Eq of 799 and TU of 795 no late payments.

My thoughts were that I should continue to use this card for a year. Apply for a new unsecured card through capital one after one year and then eventually close my account with the secured card.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Valued Contributor

Re: Applying for unsecured card

[ Edited ]

Are you a student?

How's your income?

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%

Yesi am a graduate student in a college town (low rent, food expenses). Earn about 20k/year. Have a great car loan but revolving credit has been problematic due to a lack of history. Thanks for any advice you have.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

In my signature you will see a US Bank college card. I would recommend you app for that. After 6 months request a CLI, then in another 6 months apply for one of their rewards cards.

Good luck to you :smileyhappy:

Also, you could look into the Crap1 card in my signature. Just realize Crap1 won't build with you like US Bank will. But crap1 will offer you rewards right from the start whereas US Bank will not.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%

Get a myFICO recommended credit card

Copyright ©2001-2013 Fair Isaac Corporation.
All rights reserved.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions based on Experian or Equifax data (additional FICO® Score versions based on TransUnion data are not currently available on myFICO.com). Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.