Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for unsecured card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applying for unsecured card

Hey all,

I have a question regarding unsecured cards. I have a secured cap one credit card due to a lack of revolving credit history. I have had this for about 6mos with no balance on the card. I am trying to figure out when would be the best time for me to apply for an unsecured credit card.

I have an Eq of 799 and TU of 795 no late payments.

My thoughts were that I should continue to use this card for a year. Apply for a new unsecured card through capital one after one year and then eventually close my account with the secured card.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: Applying for unsecured card

Are you a student?

How's your income?

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yesi am a graduate student in a college town (low rent, food expenses). Earn about 20k/year. Have a great car loan but revolving credit has been problematic due to a lack of history. Thanks for any advice you have.

Message 3 of 4
Dustink
Valued Contributor

In my signature you will see a US Bank college card. I would recommend you app for that. After 6 months request a CLI, then in another 6 months apply for one of their rewards cards.

Good luck to you Smiley Happy

Also, you could look into the Crap1 card in my signature. Just realize Crap1 won't build with you like US Bank will. But crap1 will offer you rewards right from the start whereas US Bank will not.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.