Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying on Christmas?

tag
real_madrid09
Valued Member

Applying on Christmas?

Looking to get an Amex. EQ is 698 and Trans is 706 (FICO). No baddies. Should I apply on Christmas, or wait til Monday?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Guava
Established Contributor

Re: Applying on Christmas?

I don't think the date will make any difference. Either the computer would instantly approve you or you'd have to wait a few days for decision.

If you've had an AMEX before in the past and are looking toward back-dating, applying in January will maximize the backdate age (cuz AMEX backdates the year, the month would be the month when you apply)

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's Christmas, AmEx should approve you for that reason aloneSmiley Very Happy

What ever you decide to do, I'm Wishing you the Best of Luck!!

Merry ChristmasSmiley Happy

Message 3 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

AMEX would still decline me even on christmas....scrooges Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 11
real_madrid09
Valued Member

Well.....I applied for the Amex Green card -- instant denial Smiley Sad  However, I got my FICO EX though, which is 716. Reason for the denial is because they want my oldest account to have at least 12 months of history.

Immediately afterwards, I applied for the Zync -- which some people are able to get after 5 months of history. For the first time it was not an instant denial. It said to check back in 24 hours.A few hours later it changed to:

"We will notify you once your application has been processed, or if we need additional information."

Is this good or bad? What are the chances? I wish I can call them now, but they're closed. 

Message 5 of 11
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@real_madrid09 wrote:

Well.....I applied for the Amex Green card -- instant denial Smiley Sad  However, I got my FICO EX though, which is 716. Reason for the denial is because they want my oldest account to have at least 12 months of history.

Immediately afterwards, I applied for the Zync -- which some people are able to get after 5 months of history. For the first time it was not an instant denial. It said to check back in 24 hours.A few hours later it changed to:

"We will notify you once your application has been processed, or if we need additional information."

Is this good or bad? What are the chances? I wish I can call them now, but they're closed. 

OK, I have a dumb question...how in the world does one build a 716 EX FICO score with less than 12 months of credit history?

Absolutely NOT hating here...just curious Smiley Happy

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 6 of 11
PetRaccoon
New Contributor

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@real_madrid09 wrote:

OK, I have a dumb question...how in the world does one build a 716 EX FICO score with less than 12 months of credit history?

Absolutely NOT hating here...just curious Smiley Happy

I'm sure its possible.. Mine was likely around 770-780 with 2.4yr history, with one account.  My 766 pull was after one INQ from Chase..

Of course, he/she could have AU accounts and AmEx is talking about his/her own accounts not being at least 12 months old.

Edit: If only I knew about the Util thing cause I was around 25% at one point cause I charged a mattress when I first got my card, and didn't pay it off until the statement got to me.

TU08:: 754 (4/14) EQ: 745 (6/14) 753 (1/13) Ex: 766 (12/11)
Goal: 800! Then Keep it there and keep growing!~
Card(s): HSBC Premier WMC: 5,000 (7/09), Chase Freedom 6,000 (11/11) BCE 3,200 (12/11) Chase Saph: 5,000 (5/12)
Message 7 of 11
real_madrid09
Valued Member

I was surprised myself actually. I was expecting upper 600's. I always pay on time, and I have no baddies. Also, I'm not even close to reaching 12 months  -- I've only got 7 months of history. And, I do not have any AU accounts. 

Message 8 of 11
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

I was approved for Green last week. My oldest CC is from April '11, however I have a car loan open since Feb '10. Do you have any older installment loans?
Message 9 of 11
real_madrid09
Valued Member

No, my portfolio consists of only credit cards. That's likely why you were accepted. It looks like they really want a year of history for their buz cards.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.