Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying with the wrong score = permanent/long term High APR

tag
MidnightJester
Frequent Contributor

Applying with the wrong score = permanent/long term High APR

Ok i have noticed from what I have read of peoples expieriences and my own. If you get a card while your scores are not great and get approved they seem to not want to lower your APR. I have tried with Discover to no avail, they say " that is the best I qualify for". Just applied for Chase and Barclays and Both gave me their best APR's. Chase 13.99 and Barclays 8.0%. I waited till my scores were high for these applications and called DIscover just before. got no help on APR but they did help my CL instead. Discover wont budge on the APR. Eventually though

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Re: Applying with the wrong score get your permanent/long term High APR

@MidnightJester wrote:

Ok i have noticed from what I have read of peoples expieriences and my own. If you get a card while your scores are not great and get approved they seem to not want to lower your APR. I have tried with Discover to no avail, they say " that is the best I qualify for". Just applied for Chase and Barclays and Both gave me their best APR's. Chase 13.99 and Barclays 8.0%. I waited till my scores were high for these applications and called DIscover just before. got no help on APR but they did help my CL instead. Discover wont budge on the APR. Eventually though

I agree. I had a Cap One secured card, and didn't manage it well. I was never late, but I carried a balance on it for most of it's life, and a high balance at that. I applied for an unsecured about a year later, and was approved, however the APR is 19.8.

I've tried to get it lowered through the EO since I've increased the limit significantly, PC'd it and managed my over all credit profile much better since first opening the  card. My scores are higher, my history with them is longer, but just this past week the EO told me that I have the best APR I can qualify for, and that my score needs to be in the 800s before they'll lower it. I was shocked and rather unhappy with that news, but we'll see what happens when I at least reach the 700s. I typically no longer carry a balance, so it isn't a big deal what my APR is, I guess, but I'd still like to have a lower one.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.