Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apprehensive to apply for Barclays

tag
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Apprehensive to apply for Barclays

LilloEsquilo ~ if you don't have any revolving accounts open it would be a good idea to open a few.   Whether you recon with Barclay is your choice but they seem to be one of the easiest recons out there based on many many posted success stories.   They may give you a small CL but they are also very good about CLIs.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 11 of 55
DonDraper
Established Member

You can try applying for the MacMall line of credit instead... it's a hidden tradeline, meaning it doesn't report to any of the bureaus, and thus doesn't affect your utilization. Same goes for Newegg. Obviously you can only spend it at those two places, but at least it doesn't mess with your reports!!Smiley Wink Well, except for the HP.

Message 12 of 55
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

LilloEsquilo ~ if you don't have any revolving accounts open it would be a good idea to open a few.   Whether you recon with Barclay is your choice but they seem to be one of the easiest recons out there based on many many posted success stories.   They may give you a small CL but they are also very good about CLIs.

+1

Definetely recon!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 13 of 55
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@frogfan12 wrote:

I really really REALLY want a Macbook Pro. After much consideration and viewing several videos online, I want to make the switch to Mac. With the 0% financing offer available from Barclays, it looks like I'd be able to purchase the laptop now and have it PIF within the next 12 months interest free. I've read really positive things about Barclays via different threads but I'm still kind of apprehensive about applying. I have really good credit scores and excellent credit history. My only concern now is one of my card's util is nearing 50% but all of my other cards are pretty near zero. My overall util is probably near 13ish%. What do you guys think my odds are of being approved? All of my other CLs hover around $3K-$5K. I would just like some advice before I go ahead and apply, which I want to do within the next week because of the financing deal possibly coming to an end in the near future.

Hello!  Based on the info you have provided, I think you are a shoe in for the card if you decide to app for it.  Really, contrary to popular belief, Barclays isn't an easy card to get.  Almost all the threads involve having to recon to get it or recon to get a higher limit.  Most on here are denied when initially applying on line.  I was in a similar situation with my utility when I applied for the Barclays and I had to recon to get it but I was approved upon recon.  I however do not believe this will be the case for you if you apply.  I do think however you will have to probably recon to get the limit you want so as not to max the card out when you buy your Mac.  Good luck and I hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 14 of 55
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

Hi Pizza,

Appreciate all your good posts here (LS too).

I do have a few new accounts I just opened so I do have revolving accounts already that are new. Thus I'm not sure Barclays is a "need". I thought it might be a good bank to get in with, but I really have no "need" for the card right now. To be honest the reasons I app'd were first I read on here how easy they are to get (apparently not true) and al lthe CLIs people were getting by way of recons (which as you know Cap 1 you won't see a CLI in your lifetime)  so I thought it might be a good bank to get into and a good card to grow with that way and it would boost my score. Those are the reasons why I app'd, probably idiotic really (though not more idiotic than applying with Cap 1).

I don't know, maybe I'll recon it, I'm not going to beg them though, no card is worth begging for. If they'd rather not get my business, ok, there are others who would and I'll just do business with them. That's how I'm looking at it.

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 15 of 55
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I recently got the Apple Card but the other Option is Best Buy Store Card, they are offering 18 months 0% for Mac Purchases.

Message 16 of 55
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

I recently got the Apple Card but the other Option is Best Buy Store Card, they are offering 18 months 0% for Mac Purchases.

Hi Creditaddict,

I'm just DYING to know.....how many recent inquiries? I know it's at LEAST double digits right? I just am curious please forgive me if I'm being nosy!

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 17 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got approved by Barclay's the other day.  My utilization reporting at the time was about 23% overall and about5 inquiries on Experian.  I went to the application through the apple website.  Got approved for $1290 originally and called and asked for $2k.  Answered a couple of questions and got approved. My scores are around 690. 

You should not have any problems.  

Message 18 of 55
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Barclays is great! They approved me with a score around 670+. I called for a recon on the CL, and after a few questions, they increased me from $1200 to $2200. Their CS has also been great and very nice (unlike another CCC we all know!). My only complaint is that they did a second HP on the recon and shouldn't have. They said it would be removed, but 6 weeks later, it's still on my CR. They do like to see other CC history of 1-2 yrs. before they will approve you, though.
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 19 of 55
CS800
Super Contributor

My util was 36% at the time of my approval. They did ask me about that when I call to recon.

Message 20 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.