Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approval for American Express- ALOT of Hard Inquires

tag
Insaniak
Established Member

Approval for American Express- ALOT of Hard Inquires

I have alot of EQ inquires 42 in the last 2 years. 5 for TU and 12 for EX. Half of those being Autoloan applications. My CU is under 15% and my EQ Fico is around 670 TU FIco around 680. What are my odds of approval? Should I try for the green, or blue?

Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
maximiliano
New Contributor

Re: Approval for American Express- ALOT of Hard Inquires

All auto loans inquiries that were done within a short period (1-2 weeks) would count as 1 inquiry (according to a sticky on the auto loans board and many other sources).

Are there any other baddies on your CR? What's the AAoA?

I was just approved for the delta Amex with a few baddies (charge off, defaulted student loans) and 9 inquiries on my CR, so I think there's definitely hope for you Smiley Happy. If you end up applying and the only reason for denial is # of inquiries you should call to recon and explain that most of those inquiries were due to car loan shopping. I was initially denied for citi aadvantage because of inquiries but as soon as I explained that they were for a car loan they approved my app.

$7,000.............$6,700...............$1,250...............$1,500...............$1,500.............$820................$750(AU).........$500..............
Starting Score: 577 (08/2012) Current Score: EQ: 675 (2013) | EX: 686 (04/14) | TU: 700 (Barclay FICO)
Last app: 04/28/14. In the garden until 12/2014 (updated 07/14)
Message 2 of 46
Insaniak
Established Member

aaoa is about 1 year. NO negatives at all. Is it true that the Green would be the easiest to get?

Message 3 of 46
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Just something to keep in mind with amex , if you are borderline they may multi pull. I don't think they pull EQ on multipulls its usually EX and TU i believe, but don't quote me on that because i am not 100 % sure about that.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 46
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@mongstradamus wrote:
Just something to keep in mind with amex , if you are borderline they may multi pull. I don't think they pull EQ on multipulls its usually EX and TU i believe, but don't quote me on that because i am not 100 % sure about that.

It's consumer specific, but doesn't sound like the account is borderline for a charge card anyway though Amex might not be using a FICO '08 model in all cases anymore (anecdotally we had a lot of folks match the EX score here a while ago) so it's a little difficult to predict.

Since this sounds like a MSD application rather than a rewards one, OP, I'd recommend your taking a look at your report and seeing if you're likely to see any improvements in six months as it doesn't matter when in 2014 you get approved.

        
Message 5 of 46
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@maximiliano wrote:
All auto loans inquiries that were done within a short period (1-2 weeks) would count as 1 inquiry (according to a sticky on the auto loans board and many other sources).

Are there any other baddies on your CR? What's the AAoA?

I was just approved for the delta Amex with a few baddies (charge off, defaulted student loans) and 9 inquiries on my CR, so I think there's definitely hope for you Smiley Happy. If you end up applying and the only reason for denial is # of inquiries you should call to recon and explain that most of those inquiries were due to car loan shopping. I was initially denied for citi aadvantage because of inquiries but as soon as I explained that they were for a car loan they approved my app.

True, as long as they are coded as auto Inq's. 

Message 6 of 46
Insaniak
Established Member

Im a little confused what does MSD mean and multi pulls?I for sure expect an improvment in 6 monthsand why wouldnt it matter when I get approved in 2014?

Message 7 of 46
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@Insaniak wrote:

Im a little confused what does MSD mean and multi pulls?I for sure expect an improvment in 6 monthsand why wouldnt it matter when I get approved in 2014?

MSD = Member Since Date. If your MSD is this year, any other cards you get with AMEX will be dated to this year as well, even if you get another one two, three years down the road.

Multi-Pulling means that AMEX may pull more than one CRA, they primarily pull EX.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 8 of 46
Insaniak
Established Member

Do you think I have a good chance of being approved for the green or blue card? Which one should I choose?

Message 9 of 46
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Insaniak wrote:

Do you think I have a good chance of being approved for the green or blue card? Which one should I choose?

Its up to you what do you want from your amex card.do you want an charge or credit card, also do you want cash back card or member rewards card?

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 10 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.