Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approval for American Express- ALOT of Hard Inquires

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Approval for American Express- ALOT of Hard Inquires

@Insaniak wrote:

The reason is I heard the green card is easier to get if thats not the case id go with the other one. Then cancell at end of year to get member since date. If I apped for a revolver would I need to do an other app for the charge card if i got deniad for revolver?

The UW is the same for all charge cards. 

Message 21 of 46
growing123
Regular Contributor

What about using their pre-approval link to get a better idea of what they say you qualify for? 

Starting Scores - Mid 500s - 10/2013

EX 706 (FICO 9/15) | EQ 710 (FICO 9/15) | TU 716 (FICO 9/15)

Quicksilver $12.8K | Freedom $1.5k | Discover It $11.5k | VS $1.2k | AMEX BCE $10k | Fidelity AMEX $10k | US Cash+ $9k | Citi DC $6.6k
Message 22 of 46
Insaniak
Established Member

Tried pre approval no offers.

Message 23 of 46
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@Insaniak wrote:

The reason is I heard the green card is easier to get if thats not the case id go with the other one. Then cancell at end of year to get member since date. If I apped for a revolver would I need to do an other app for the charge card if i got deniad for revolver?

Unfortunately, it's not like some of the other applications where you're applying for the best versions of the card. (Say for example Bank of America with the Alaska Airlines Visa signature card. -- When someone applies for this thinking that they want the Visa Signature with the better sign up bonus, they may not get that one but the regular visa with a lower sign up bonus.) For Amex, the application is for the product -- the only thing differing will be APR and credit limits based on credit worthiness for revolving lines of credit. For a charge card (such as Green, gold, platinum, and Premier Rewards Gold card) you are applying for the ability to charge things and pay the full amount when it is statement time. (There is no APR for this because you are simply paying for what you've purchased, but you get rewards for using American express network -- and they get the swipe fees from you just using your card with the specific retailer.)

People often times apply for a charge because it's more lenient than the revolvers, and they figure they'd rather have the most bang for the buck so to speak with 2 accounts for one hard pull. IE: PRG and then they turn around and app for the Blue Cash or new Everyday card that is out now... but both of those are practically for the same HP. Sometimes that happens and sometimes not. There is comfort in knowing that when you apply for the revolver after approval of the charge that usually if denied that you won't receive a hard pull on your report like one does with other credit card companies. Also, people also like the fact that if they're denied for the revolver they at least know that they have cemented their member since date and they're also building their internal score with Amex for that application later on.

It really just depends on what you want and also how much you want it! One of the best lines of advice I've ever read (ok that's a little dramatic, but it's still true!) about credit is this: Apply for the card you want. Not what you think you'll get approved for or settle for, go for what you want, because you will always have in the back of your mind the one you wanted and won't be too happy about not getting it. 

Wishing you the best of luck!

Message 24 of 46
Insaniak
Established Member

Well I got declined for the PRG Card.. The really leaves blue out of the question...

Message 25 of 46
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@Insaniak wrote:

Well I got declined for the PRG Card.. The really leaves blue out of the question...

Sorry to hear that. Were you able to pull up the denial letter online or do you have to wait for the mail?

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 26 of 46
Insaniak
Established Member

Not sure how to pull it up online.

Message 27 of 46
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@Insaniak wrote:

I'm sorry that you weren't approved. Smiley Sad I would just focus on the reasons and try to go from there. You'll get it eventually!

Message 28 of 46
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@Insaniak wrote:

Not sure how to pull it up online.

https://www262.americanexpress.com/eaol/welcome.do

I think this might be it.

Message 29 of 46
Insaniak
Established Member

Wont let me view them online it says cannot be accessed try later.

Message 30 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.