Approval for American Express- ALOT of Hard Inquires

tag
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

Re: Approval for American Express- ALOT of Hard Inquires

@parakleet wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Insaniak wrote:
So pretty much the waiting game? Not much else I could do?

I don't think you are allowed to apply for another six months with amex after denial.some of the amex guru could correct me on that . yeah pretty much wait it out garden cards you have and pay on time 

I believe it's just 30 days. 

My letter said 30 days. 

"Applicants who were not approved for a new account at one time may qualify in the future. You are welcome to apply for any of our cards, but please wait at least 30 days before submitting a new application."

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 41 of 46
Insaniak
Established Member

What's weird is I went to my cu to get financing they said my EQ is 628 when I pulled my fico EQ it says 707. What's going on?
Message 42 of 46
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Insaniak wrote:
What's weird is I went to my cu to get financing they said my EQ is 628 when I pulled my fico EQ it says 707. What's going on?

my assumption would be they pulled different eq models . I think if you buy eq here its the newer eq08 that they switched over to. Don't know what model your CU uses you can ask to see if its different model or not

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 43 of 46
Insaniak
Established Member

They don't even know what fico is.... But what banks would use the newer eq08 model?
Message 44 of 46
vpae
Established Contributor

@KennyRS wrote:

@Insaniak wrote:

The reason is I heard the green card is easier to get if thats not the case id go with the other one. Then cancell at end of year to get member since date. If I apped for a revolver would I need to do an other app for the charge card if i got deniad for revolver?

Unfortunately, it's not like some of the other applications where you're applying for the best versions of the card. (Say for example Bank of America with the Alaska Airlines Visa signature card. -- When someone applies for this thinking that they want the Visa Signature with the better sign up bonus, they may not get that one but the regular visa with a lower sign up bonus.) For Amex, the application is for the product -- the only thing differing will be APR and credit limits based on credit worthiness for revolving lines of credit. For a charge card (such as Green, gold, platinum, and Premier Rewards Gold card) you are applying for the ability to charge things and pay the full amount when it is statement time. (There is no APR for this because you are simply paying for what you've purchased, but you get rewards for using American express network -- and they get the swipe fees from you just using your card with the specific retailer.)

People often times apply for a charge because it's more lenient than the revolvers, and they figure they'd rather have the most bang for the buck so to speak with 2 accounts for one hard pull. IE: PRG and then they turn around and app for the Blue Cash or new Everyday card that is out now... but both of those are practically for the same HP. Sometimes that happens and sometimes not. There is comfort in knowing that when you apply for the revolver after approval of the charge that usually if denied that you won't receive a hard pull on your report like one does with other credit card companies. Also, people also like the fact that if they're denied for the revolver they at least know that they have cemented their member since date and they're also building their internal score with Amex for that application later on.

It really just depends on what you want and also how much you want it! One of the best lines of advice I've ever read (ok that's a little dramatic, but it's still true!) about credit is this: Apply for the card you want. Not what you think you'll get approved for or settle for, go for what you want, because you will always have in the back of your mind the one you wanted and won't be too happy about not getting it. 

Wishing you the best of luck!

I'm a little late to the party, but I read this and think that this is also true in life. The school, the job, the girl, go for what you want, not what you think you'll get approved or settle for. Smiley Happy

And OP, sorry for the denial. Let the Accoutns and Inquiries Age and try again. Different banks and different divisions within the same bank even, could use different fico version since there's almost 40 of them.

12/19/19 06/11/20 07/02/20
Total CL: $708,900. Largest CL: Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $70K. Apple Card $40K. Chase Ritz Carlton $35K. Mouseover for individual CLs
Message 45 of 46
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@Insaniak wrote:
They don't even know what fico is.... But what banks would use the newer eq08 model?

They may not know what a FICO is but, their computers do!

Best of luck..

Message 46 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.