Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approval immediately after decline?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approval immediately after decline?

Hi everyone,  I  had a strange situation and I was wondering if anyone ever ran into this.

I have a Visa card from BofA. I got it graduated from a secured card to unsecured about 6 months ago, and I've had it since 08.

Anyway, my limit on the BofA was 500 after it became unsecured, but I decided to try to increase it to 1000. I went online, filled out the form, and it told me I should call to get an "instant answer". I didn't call right away. The next day, I called and spoke with a rep, and after about 15 minutes they upped my limit as requested.

Now, here's where it gets weird. I didn't know that when I made the request online, they'd do any pull, hard or soft. I figured when the message came up to call, it was an indication that they were not doing online credit bumps. Today, I received a letter from BofA declining my credit increase. This was from the online attempt. However, my limit is in fact 1000. I'm assuming that when I called, a hard pull was performed, because I was asked questions about my loan debt, and how long I'd been working.

Has anyone ever had a hard pull prove to be more beneficial than their soft pull?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approval immediately after decline?

No one? No ideas, thoughts, anything?

Message 2 of 4
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I'm assuming that you were declined initially and that your call was treated as a recon.  The letter from the initial decline got to you a few days later.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

+1  What Walt_K said!

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.