Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approval odds for Macy's card

tag
codesingh
Regular Contributor

Approval odds for Macy's card

Hey all...I am planning to buy some jewelry Smiley Wink from macy's...they have another extra 20% on jewelry for opening a macy's cc account. could you please she some light on how the cc company for macy's card/system views  the application? what do they/system look for in the application for approval?

~ 100k in Rev CC. 15k Credit Line. 16.5k Car Loan(@1.7%) Starting scores: 690 EQ (Dec 2012) Mid-year FICO scores April ‘13 Pulled by lenders(Barclays, Amex): TU 747 • EQ 752 • EX 746 • Scores As of Nov 2013: 740 and above across the board.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
navyox
Regular Contributor

Re: Approval odds for Macy's card

Glancing at your signature you don't have anything to worry about, methinks.    Macy's is stingy with CLs sometimes, mine is $400 lol.   They are also quick to report lates and very stingy with goodwills, so make triple sure you are never late with them.   Also, watch out for having 2 accounts, you will have a separate account number for in-store and out of store purchases (with the Macy's Amex), make sure you pay the correct account.   Stories abound of them reporting lates while you autopay into the wrong account with no balance.

Starting Score: 676 CK 5/13. Current: 717 EX 6/15 -- Last App: 6/2014
Message 2 of 14
codesingh
Regular Contributor

@navyox wrote:

Glancing at your signature you don't have anything to worry about, methinks.    Macy's is stingy with CLs sometimes, mine is $400 lol.   They are also quick to report lates and very stingy with goodwills, so make triple sure you are never late with them.   Also, watch out for having 2 accounts, you will have a separate account number for in-store and out of store purchases (with the Macy's Amex), make sure you pay the correct account.   Stories abound of them reporting lates while you autopay into the wrong account with no balance.

Thx for a quick thought/eval navyox...my signature is a little old, please re-eval with the following info (my fear is that i had too many recent accounts).

Another thing I want to know is...what CBR does the macy's cc does a hard pull on? 

Most Recent Account Opened: September 2013
Inquiry: 10 on each CBR
Score: 720 or above across the board
Average Age of Acc: 1.3 years
Total Credit History: 11 years
Number of cards: about 10 revolving cc cards apped/approved within 2013...alarming!!
Credit Use: 8%
Total Credit Line: ~100k

~ 100k in Rev CC. 15k Credit Line. 16.5k Car Loan(@1.7%) Starting scores: 690 EQ (Dec 2012) Mid-year FICO scores April ‘13 Pulled by lenders(Barclays, Amex): TU 747 • EQ 752 • EX 746 • Scores As of Nov 2013: 740 and above across the board.
Message 3 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Macy's is just like any other lender.  It is backed by DSNB (a Citi affiliate).  No one will be able to give you specifics since only Macy's/DSNB knows the criteria for approval.  If you want the most optimal opportunity for an approval, your FICO scores would need to hover north of 700, a relatively clean profile (no major recent derogs), a minimum number of inquiries as possible and low utililization.  This also would depend if you are applying for the store or the AMEX version.

Message 4 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@codesingh wrote:

@navyox wrote:

Thx for a quick thought/eval navyox...my signature is a little old, please re-eval with the following info (my fear is that i had too many recent accounts).

Another thing I want to know is...what CBR does the macy's cc does a hard pull on? 

Most Recent Account Opened: September 2013
Inquiry: 10 on each CBR
Score: 720 or above across the board
Average Age of Acc: 1.3 years
Total Credit History: 11 years
Number of cards: about 10 revolving cc cards apped/approved within 2013...alarming!!
Credit Use: 8%
Total Credit Line: ~100k

Macy's can pull EQ, EX or TU.  Any of the 3 CRAs.

Message 5 of 14
mnavas
Frequent Contributor

Since you have many inquiries and new accs, you're most likely going to get approved for the store version card... To increase your approval chances and have a good CL... Apply in the store while you're shopping... oh and for jewlery they have some financing options but you need to spend certain amount of money and they'll also create another new tradeline for this purpose (Club account)
Message 6 of 14
kroberts67
Established Contributor

Macy's pulled EX for me (I'm in CA).  They denied me in store once or twice then a month later when I noticed my score shot up a little bit and I got cocky I applied online...  they gave me $100 credit.  I called  to inquiry what the heck I'm supposed to do with $100 and they upped it to $800, apparently I just had to make the intial call.  I was in the beginning of my rebuilding so I did have unpaid baddies so not sure why they gave me that kind of line.  I used the card frequently (especially at xmas!) and treat it well and 6 mos later I got an auto CLI to $2500.  My credit is clean now but I really can't tell you why they gave it to me in the first place the way my credit looked at the time!

FICO: EQ 814 | TU 847 | EX ? (Started in the low 500's... you can do it!)

Amex BCE $25000, Amex AP $20000, SFFCU Visa $15000 + LOC $5000, USAA Amex $6000, USAA MC $7000, Cap1 $9500, Freedom $12000, Slate $500, Barclays "RIP" SM $11500, USBank Cash+ $12500, Citi Diamond $11200, Citi Double Cash $12000, Care Credit $13500k.
My Credit Repair Journey
Message 7 of 14
navyox
Regular Contributor

In my opnion the worst that will happen is you get a approved with a tiny CL.   Definitely apply in-store though, you get extra % off everything the day you open the account, so make it count IMO.

Starting Score: 676 CK 5/13. Current: 717 EX 6/15 -- Last App: 6/2014
Message 8 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@mnavas wrote:
Since you have many inquiries and new accs, you're most likely going to get approved for the store version card... To increase your approval chances and have a good CL... Apply in the store while you're shopping... oh and for jewlery they have some financing options but you need to spend certain amount of money and they'll also create another new tradeline for this purpose (Club account)

+1

This may prove trivial since the OP has gone on a major app "fiesta" and with that many inquiries and/or too many recent new accounts may hinge on a low CL, if approved. 

Message 9 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I don't think you will have any issues getting both store and Amex line approved when you apply in store.  Applying in store also usually elimindates the stupid toy credit lines although they still do start a bit lower then some expect but can grow fast.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.