Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved BoA AMEX Cash rewards card, but CLD on primary card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved BoA AMEX Cash rewards card, but CLD on primary card

So over the weekend my wife applied for the BoA AMEX Accelerated Cash Rewards card and was approved with an initial CL of $5,000.

So.

I log into BoA site today and they slashed my wife's primary BoA World Points CL in half. It is now at $5,500 (previously $10,500).

Needless to say I (we) am infuriated. Had we known getting 'approved' for ANY card would have affected ANY cards already being held, we would have never applied.

I certainly won't be applying for any 2nd cards with BoA in the future.

This is like calling builders to come and add a room to my house, only to have them put a wall up in the middle of an existing room..thus 'adding' a room.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Approved BoA AMEX Cash rewards card, but CLD on primary card

Someone must have reviewed your credit report manually and didn't like what they saw.  Are you listed as an AU on any of wife's accounts? 

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am AU on her BoA World Points card that got slashed. She has $0 balance on this card also. Her FICO EXP is 743, and her TU is 746.

My scores are 741, 735 respectively.

Message 3 of 13
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am AU on her BoA World Points card that got slashed. She has $0 balance on this card also. Her FICO EXP is 743, and her TU is 746.

They may have initially approved you based on the performance of your wife's account.  I don't think the computer itself can decipher if someone is only an AU on an account.  But when they manually reviewed your account, they saw you were only an AU and took back the offer.  Because of that action, they took things further, and may have reviewed your wife's credit reports and saw something that they didn't like to justify decreasing her CL.  

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

She applied with her credentials, not me.

And she wasn't initally approved.  She got the typical 'needs further review message'. This was late Sunday night.

Then she gets the screenshot I posted above, showing the 'approval' along with the CLD on her primary card.

This all happened within minutes around lunchtime today.

They didn't approve me, then realize I was only an AU, only to then reconsider any previous offers or anything like that.

This was her applying, with me standing next to her but, thats the extent of my involvment as far as the app process goes.

Message 5 of 13
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

She applied with her credentials, not me.

And she wasn't initally approved.  She got the typical 'needs further review message'. This was late Sunday night.

Then she gets the screenshot I posted above, showing the 'approval' along with the CLD on her primary card.

This all happened within minutes around lunchtime today.

They didn't approve me, then realize I was only an AU, only to then reconsider any previous offers or anything like that.

This was her applying, with me standing next to her but, thats the extent of my involvment as far as the app process goes.

Sorry it happened.  You wife should check the credit report that was pulled to determine what caused the adverse actions that were taken. 

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have new, fresh copies of all 3 in front of us.

Nothing on her reports should have triggered this.

Her scores are very good. She has no derogs, and never has. What type of negative entry on a CR triggers an approval of a new CC, but a CLD at the same time? If they DID see something they didn't like, why not just decline the app?

Message 7 of 13
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

When I app'd for the BoA Accelerated AmEx I got the impression that they were pretty stingy. I put the same info on my app for USAA, BoA and then AmEx in that order and only BoA wasn't an instant approval. I had to call in and talk to a CSR (who was very friendly and helpful) but I felt almost like she was approving me but slightly unsure about it. Like $5,000 was their starter limit and I was on a leash since that's the lowest limit of my prime cards.

Don't know why I felt that way, just my initial impression. Again they've done nothing to upset me, they just seemed a little stingy

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 13
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

BofA does that because they do not want to extend additional credit to your wife, so they simply move a portion of her existing credit.

Message 9 of 13
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I would try to call and get the limit back.  I've read stories on here where others have done that with BOA and it worked, although every situation is different. 

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.