Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved Walmart Disover

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved Walmart Disover

Well,  I officially fell off the gardening wagon.

I feel a little guilty but I really wanted the Walmart free TU score. How lame am I.

I plan on adding my mother as an AU. She is disabled and only shops at Walmart. She cannot get around much, but when she does go out, it is always Walmart.

I figure she can use the card, and I will pay for her. She doesn't really spend much, but it is probably the only way the card will get used. I would rather my mother not carry cash.

I was instantly approved with a 3k limit.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

Re: Approved Walmart Disover

Congrats on the card and good looking out for mom.  I never shopped at Walmart much till this year.  Although I just buy odds and ends.  Hoping I can get a card soon.

Message 2 of 10
guydiver
Established Contributor

Congrats on the card.  Do you know which CR they pulled yet, and if you don't mind what was your Fico?  Thanks, and nice CL for starting from Walmart for sure.

Message 3 of 10
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

speaking of 3k, i just increased my Walmart Discover 3k to the new limit of 7000. yes!

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 4 of 10
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

@guydiver wrote:

Congrats on the card.  Do you know which CR they pulled yet, and if you don't mind what was your Fico?  Thanks, and nice CL for starting from Walmart for sure.

The free Fico Walmart pulls for it's customers is TU.  The credit report GEMB pulls to approve the account is something different.  I remember a recent thread about a member but I don't think that there was a definitive  answer on what they were using for the approval.

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think there was agreement that Walmart pulls nextgen scores for approval.  

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@guydiver wrote:

Not sure what CR they pulled yet. 

I am confused about my scores lately. I have no idea which is my true FICO. 

EQ tells me FICO is 668 (score watch), but on ALL correspondence I have received from the credit card companies I was recently approved for, they report a 721 (or in the 720 range depending on the bureau). I think the 721 may be some "enhanced" credit card score. I do have a high income, so that probably pays a part as well.

I am not sure if 3k is good a good starting point with Walmart Discover. It is certainly enough for what the card will be used for. Discover More gave me 10k.

Message 7 of 10
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

Re: Approved Walmart Discover

@Anonymous wrote:

@guydiver wrote:

Not sure what CR they pulled yet. 

I am confused about my scores lately. I have no idea which is my true FICO. 

EQ tells me FICO is 668 (score watch), but on ALL correspondence I have received from the credit card companies I was recently approved for, they report a 721 (or in the 720 range depending on the bureau). I think the 721 may be some "enhanced" credit card score. I do have a high income, so that probably pays a part as well.

I am not sure if 3k is good a good starting point with Walmart Discover. It is certainly enough for what the card will be used for. Discover More gave me 10k.

The 721 could be a real FICO (though the one GEMB used for your Walmart account decision was not, they do use another credit score that is not FICO).  But it is possible that if you got that 721 from another CCC, it could be a true FICO.  The FICO scores you get from the 3 CRA's will almost always differ due to having slightly different information in their reports. But I've noticed that with ScoreWatch, it doesn't necessarily update immediately when good things happening to your score.

For instance, I started PIF prior to statement this month on my AmEx.  SW had me at 789 prior to doing this.   Making this change should show a $4k drop to <1% util.  Statement date was 9/10.   I know the new balance got reported by 9/12 because Credit Karma showed it on that date. So I know that it was updated by AmEx promptly.

I just started receiving my first DCU Free FICO this month (which uses the same Beacon 5 scoring algorithm myFICO SW does).  It came out on 9/16 and showed an 801!  I was very happy, but curious as to why SW (still showing the 789) wouldn't share the good new with me as well.

Then I went back and looked at the details of the offer:

See your new FICO® score every time you get an alert of a change on your credit report. Find out when your FICO® score changes enough to impact the interest rate you would likely receive on a home mortgage, auto loan or home equity loan.

and,

• Alerts you when unexpected changes to your credit report cause your FICO® score to drop

Combining those two statements logically, they will alert you when something bad happens.  And they will tell you how your score changed when they alert you.  Thus you will only see a score change when there is potentially negative information.  Granted, any positive information will then be factored in when they update the score you see due to potentially neg info. And if the score change bumped you into better rates (say >760) they might update you. However this is certainly not what I thought I was purchasing when I signed up.Smiley Mad

I am not happy with the SW service.  I was led to believe that the monitoring service would always show me my present score taking into account all information at the time. Needless to say, I will not be renewing the service.

My credit monitoring is about to get very cheap. Smiley Tongue  Between the free monthly FICO's from Walmart (TU) and DCU(EQ), Credit Sesame, and Credit Karma I believe that I can monitor my credit reasonably well for $0.   With Credit Karma you can update it every day and if the score drops you then know that there is something bad in your file and generally what it is.  If I see a significant drop, then I'll pay to pull a complete FICO so I can run down the problem. 

I just don't see spending a couple of hundred dollars a year on this.  Between the ($9.95 per month = $120/yr) BoA Privacy Assist (which I'll cancel after Oct's quarterly update comes out - it's just FAKO's anyway) and the $150 for myFICO ScoreWatch I've paid $270 dollars for information I can arguably get better for free.

This was pertinent to the previous post, but I think I'll also post it as another thread in myFICO product feedback.

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

bobebob,

Thank you so much for such detailed information.

yes...my SW did show a change in my report (dropped a few points....must have been from my inquiries). 

I think I am going to follow in your footsteps and drop SW after my year is up, especially after your post.

Thanks again.

Message 9 of 10
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

bobebob,

Thank you so much for such detailed information.

yes...my SW did show a change in my report (dropped a few points....must have been from my inquiries). 

I think I am going to follow in your footsteps and drop SW after my year is up, especially after your post.

Thanks again.

Glad I could help out. Smiley Happy

Here's the quasi-rant I posted to the myFico Feedback (with a little more detail):

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/myFICO-Product-Feedback/Positive-score-changes-not-updated-by-SW/m-p/1035846/message-uid/1035846#U1035846

And here is a link to a detailed post from Barry (nice guy from all I've heard and read) on exactly how SW works and why the score isn't always updated:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/myFICO-Product-Feedback/Score-Watch-Guide/m-p/603543/message-uid/603543#U603543

As I say in the more detailed version I linked to, if I were actively looking for a mortgage or car loan, I would pull a full Fico from the myFico site.  But for long-term monitoring I think you can do a pretty good version (and in some respects better) for $0.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.