cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved and then denied for a BOA secured card. Now what?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved and then denied for a BOA secured card. Now what?

So, I am in the process of trying to clean up my credit from some medical collections. I didn't have any credit cards (other than being an authorized user on my husband's card), so I went to apply for BOA student card. I knew it was a long shot, as my scores are TU 648 / EQ 645. As I suspected, I was denied, so I applied for the secured card. The application screen said I was approved, but the other day I received a letter in the mail stating I had been declined due to collections and a short credit history.They used Experien, which has the same info as my other reports (in fact, it has one less collection than the other two do). 

So my questions are...why was I approved and then denied? Is there a (secured) card I can get with my scores?

I can't tell you how embaressed I am to be denied a secured card. I just want to fix my credit, and it just keeps coming back like a whack-a-mole. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Approved and then denied for a BOA secured card. Now what?

My understanding is that all BofA secured card app's require a manual review. So while you may have made the initial cut and been approved based on your scores they did not like your CBR upon MR. Were I you I would call the secured department and ask for a recon and get a firm understanding directly from them regarding what you need to do to get in the door.
Message 2 of 6
hawkeye33
Regular Contributor

Pardon the question (not trying to insult your intelligence), but are you absolutely sure the denial you received in the mail was not for the initial, unsecured card application? Even if you are denied online, you would still receive something in the mail with the explanation of why you were denied.

So, if you were truly ultimately denied for both apps, you would expect two notifications in the mail (one for each). If you've only received one, then check and make sure it's for the secured card for which the web site said you were approved.

If it really was a denial letter for the secured card, then obviously, call them and ask.

Message 3 of 6
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@hawkeye33 wrote:

Pardon the question (not trying to insult your intelligence), but are you absolutely sure the denial you received in the mail was not for the initial, unsecured card application? Even if you are denied online, you would still receive something in the mail with the explanation of why you were denied.

So, if you were truly ultimately denied for both apps, you would expect two notifications in the mail (one for each). If you've only received one, then check and make sure it's for the secured card for which the web site said you were approved.

If it really was a denial letter for the secured card, then obviously, call them and ask.

This is a really good point! +1

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@hawkeye33 wrote:

Yeah, I suppose it isn't a stupid question, but yes, I am sure it was a denial for the secured card, as I got a second denial letter for the other card the same day.

Well, any suggestions for what card I can apply for now?

Message 5 of 6
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

Were I you I would call the secured department and ask for a recon and get a firm understanding directly from them regarding what you need to do to get in the door.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.